how do you makea three year old behave

my grandson is 3 and his dad isnt around. my daughter is 19 she trys but shes losing patience. he wont listen to her, hes into everthing, hes a typical 3 year old.

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 1:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• are you at home watching him or is she? or are you both there at the same time?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you are both caring for him, consistancy in rules and expectations. If you are using time out, your daughter also needs to use it, in the same exact way. Everyone looses patience. And I would say at 3, when they understand more than at 2 you can start taking things away. If they throw a toy, he looses it for the day. That kind of stuff. If he throws food on the ground or makes a mess on purpose or out of anger, he cleans it up before moving onto something else. If that means it takes 10 minutes out of your life to sit with him and make him do it, that's what has to be done.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i watch him mostly yes he throws things and weve used time outs and weve taken toys away from him
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son just turned three I wish I knew the answer to this question lol
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 2:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• what do you do with the toys he is throwing? those should be taken - I would recommend the Book Love and Logic from a class I took, see if that could work - it gives them more control yet gives him a sense of decision making that helps with the fits..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son's just getting ready to turn three and has all of a sudden started behaving awfully, so I'd love to see some of the answers, too. It seems like time out is the only thing that works, yet it hasn't helped to get him to stop the behaviors, it just stops the tantrums once he's been reprimanded for the behaviors. We don't know how to get him to listen or to get him to stop from doing it again later....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm on my 3rd 3 year old and as far as I can tell... the answer is "You don't." lol My sons are wonderful, lovely boys... But the truth is, especially with THIS 3yo... He has good days and he has bad days and nothing I say or do seems to make much difference.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 8:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• DH suggests giving him something to do. Which is an excellent point. :) Keeping him entertained/amused/busy. And letting him know that no means no is important, too. My guys (I have three boys and a girl) know the Mommy Is Getting Tired Tone all too well.- I'll put up with a lot... but when I get The Tone, they know I've had it and it's time to cooperate.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 8:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010