Are pet allergies genetic?

My baby daddy is allergic to cats and dogs, and I want to know if that makes my son more likely to also be allergic to these animals.

lyricsoprano90

Asked by lyricsoprano90 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pets

• No, allergies are not genetically inherited. Allergies are an auo-immune reaction, which means that your immune system attacks your own body in response to some trigger. For me, the triggers are mold, pollen, dust and dog/cat dander/hair/whatever. Once triggered, the immune system's cells attach the places that the trigger is found - usually the eyes and nose, sometimes the throat. When they attack, a chemical called histamine is released and this is what makes you feel so crummy - the histamine makes eyes watery and gooey, the throat itchy and the nose sneezy. Many allergy medications are histamine blockers - they treat the symptoms, not the cause of allergies.

Bottom line - daddy can't pass allergies on to the little one. Likewise, breastfeeding won't help prevent allergies in the little one, either.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 2:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thanks! Complex stuff... this is why I'll stick to math. lol!
    lyricsoprano90

Comment by lyricsoprano90 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Allergies are not genetic.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 5:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010