my son just turned 2 and i have been nursing him since he was born i really need help on how to quit breastfeeding i dont know what to do to get him off the boob

mistydaniels

Asked by mistydaniels at 2:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He should quit on his own soon. LOL If not, replace one feeding a day with a cup of water.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Wow! I only breastfed my son, but both my kids were off the boob or bottle when they turned 1. Along with the pacifier and diapers. Good luck!
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 2:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Do you really want to wean, or is it just because you think you should?

Delay and distract is the best method for this age. Your goal shouldn't be to stop him cold turkey, just lessen the number of feedings per day slowly until weaned. Start with a small goal like, no nursing between breakfast and lunch. If he asks during that time, distract him with something else and tell him later. Once he's used to not nursing during that time, cut out another chunk of time... keep going until they're all gone.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have no advice for how to stop nursing, as I kind of ran dry after 9 months.. but I commend you on your persistence and commitment to do the best thing for your boy :) Nice work, mama!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 2:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you really want to wean (not necessary at all yet BTW) then simply replace one feeding a day with something else (snack, drink, etc) and safe the favorites for last (nap and bedtime are typical). I let my children self wean and the first told me it tasted yucky when I was 6 months pregnant and he was 18 months old and my second stopped herself about 35 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• – collapse
    That is crazy!!! He should be off your boob long time age. It sounds like u do it cause it feels good!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Wow, Anon... way to say something completely ignorant and hide your identity. Grow up!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Ugh @@ at these crazy anons. If you are weaning because you WANT to, then drop one nursing session per week until done. You could also follow "don't offer, don't refuse" which is a method where you only nurse when asked, you never initiate nursing. The latter usually takes a bit longer to completely wean. If you are thinking of weaning only because you feel that you HAVE to, know that you don't. It's fine to continue nursing if you want, and it's fine to wean if you are ready.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm nursing still..... And I have my moments of being "all done" but don't show it. Other time it is so special to still nurse her, she's at such peace and such a special bonding time. But I wouldn't mind if she quit. She's 18mo old now. I've tried the putting it off method, offering something else, put she's pretty persistent. Thankfully she gets that we don't nurse during the busy day. Just when we first wake up, and as she goes to bed at night. It's pretty funny, ever since she was about 6mo old, when she wants to nurse she makes this "aa...aaa...hem" sound like when you clear your throat to get someone's attention;) and then of course points.....

Best of luck to you. I don't have any advice but look forward to reading any that others give you.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 2:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Let him decide what he wants to do. pressuring a child to wean can cause trauma. Most boys wean around that age anyways.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 4:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010