Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Bumps

how do i begin

im living with my older daughter because i was stupid an couldnt pay my rent. im an older adult passed fifty i lost my husband a year ago. i havent worked and have no marketable skills. i need a job and i need to find a place as there my son whose special needs, my 3 year old grandson andmy pregnant 19 year old daughter. ive looked everywhere. i dont qualify for certain government agencys. i live in ca one of the most expensive places to live . i want to move but my 19 year old doesnt have a away to supprt herself after the baby is born by the way the 3 year old is hers. help

Answer Question

Asked by stressedoutgran at 2:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 15 (2,324 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I have no idea, but I'll bump this for you.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 2:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • Oh wow I dont know what to say but you have to keep knocking on doors ti you find the right help
    do you have Catholic Charities in your area ?

    Answer by chica1965 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • wow i would think you would atleast be able to get on section 8 and your daughter is old enough for it too when i first set out on my own with my kids i signed up for section 8 i had to be put on a waiting list for a voucher to get a house but they moved me and my kids into a 3 bedroom apt. and all i had to pay was $6 a month yes only six dollars a month for rent

    Answer by 405mom at 5:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • You should look into assistance again. There has to be programs you qualify for. You are taking care of 3 people , soon to be 4, all by yourself.  If you are thinking about a job, try looking at the AARP web site. They  have information about finding jobs for older people. I am sorry you are going through this. I'll be thinking about you.


    Answer by earlgrey at 9:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • wow, that is awful! I know Boston has gov't assistance, you may want to look at other states that DO help the community, it can't hurt.

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 9:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

  • You must separate yourself from the 19 year old off. She can get the benefits, training, rduced child care and housing while the baby is a baby.
    That will free you to get help for you and your son.

    Answer by Wilma2 at 4:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • i agree your daughter is old enough to get the help her and her to children need to go in and apply for ssi for your son and as his caregiver to get you both some assitants and help locating a good the way i live in CA and there are programs out there you just have to park your butt in the HRA office and refuse to leave till someone helps you......thats what i did 2yrs ago when i got divorced, good luck

    Answer by cara124 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

  • write every thing you are good at , go back to school you are never to old there is help out there if one door closes a other door opens ,you have to belive that you can do this don't give up hope ,i am 53yrs old yes i have job by sewing for others and knitting toys if i can do it so can you

    Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • Can you get social security for your disabled son.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 4:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

  • I live in CA and maybe can help you. I"m not sure what County of California you live in but here we do have government assistance that can help you and your son get benefits and the Section 8 housing assistance program has opened in some counties that may can help you. ALthough the waiting list for Section 8 housing is long, there are other housing assistance for Seniors & the disabled that may get you in much quicker and easier. Hope this helps

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.