Will the economy affect your spending habits this holiday season?

Though the economic crisis is scary, it hasn't really affected many average people as of yet. I am curious if you plan to:
- curtail spending,
- aren't really affected due to year-round savings
- looking at alternate plans like layaway

or
- won't be bothered with worrying since it's the holidays.

What are your thoughts?

lizzytobias

Asked by lizzytobias at 12:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Shopping

• It has not changed our spending. If anything we are spending more this year. We are already over budget and not even done yet. I just want my kids to have a good Christmas.
    Angie211

Answer by Angie211 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• YES!!! My hubby was just laid off so now our x-mas fund just became our bills fund. OUCH!! If hubby doesn't find a job by the end of November I'm heading back to work part time to HELP pay for some gifts for my kids. We will NOT be buying for anyone other than our kids this year. Usually we spend $100 to 200 per child (we have 2) and then about another $300 to $400 on our extended family. This year it will be about 100 for our 2 kids and zero for the family. I hope everyone has a happy holiday and all that matters is that we are hanging in there together as a family.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 9:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I shop online to find bargains. Checkout http://www.silkfair.com for great gift ideas for holidays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• well im a low income family and it hurts so bad that i willnot be able to give my son lots of things, but he will only be 7-8 months so i will just buy him a few toys (dont need clothes) and wrap up diapers and wipes- i mean i think that he will just have fun tearing the paper up, and i think that it will seem like a lot if we do it this was instead of splurging. when summer was over i bought stuff for next year for his birthday too like water toys and stuff like that , now when winter gets done i will buy toys eect..to save tons of money
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My family is probably not the only family that is getting hit with the economy troubles but to answer your question the way it looks now my family will be sitting out this christmas..our bills over seed or income right now..No credit cards to cover christmas...I just hope we make it through christmas as a happy family together..There won't be no presents or buying for other friends and family..Maybe next year we will be able to make up for it..I pray each and everyone of you enjoy your holidays and remember it isn't what you get it is who you have to spend it with..
    jncdowns

Answer by jncdowns at 1:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• We will spend the same amount this year as we always have. I have a Christmas club account through my employer, which I LOVE!! I always have a nice check that comes to me in October to spend on presents. If you've never tried a Christmas club, you should give it a try. I don't miss the money, it comes directly out of my paycheck, and then you don't have to cut into your monthly budget in November and December.
    2boysmom703

Answer by 2boysmom703 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• No but that is besuase we take our income tax money and buy the bulk in Feb.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 5:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008