Do cats have allergies?

This may be a stupid question, but we adopted a 3-year-old male kitty from the Humane Society about a week ago. They said he is in really good health, and all, but now that he is home with us, he sneezes a LOT! I have only had one other cat, and she never sneezed. I'm wondering if he has allergies, or if there is a reason, and even if it is normal for cats to sneeze a lot..

Idea? Thanks!

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Take him to the vet asap. It could be allergies but it also could be an upper respritory infection. I used to work at a humane society and URI's were extremely common and could get very ugly very quickly.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• they can.. our dog we had was allergic to US even.. Human dander.. he was tested at the U Of M and was allergic enough to need daily injections
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Also, if you have other cats seperate them immediately.
    Namaste17

• I don't know if they can have allergies, but they can have asthma. My sis had 4 cats (not related to each other) and it turned out 3 of them had asthma. As for sneezing, I have had quite a few cats over the years and they rarely sneezed. I would take the cat to the vet and get the sneezing checked out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• namaste, could a URI come on that quick? He didn't have any sneezing the first two days and then started doing it out of no where. We did just get our down feather blankets out of the closets, so I thought maybe he was allergic to the down or something..

Also, no other cats, no other animals at all.
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Ok that's good. Yes it could come on quickly, but if you start to notice the cat having a runny nose, there is a really good chance it's a URI, unfortunatley in a shelter setting it spreads all over the place. Luckily, they are very easy to treat with antibiotics as long as it's the only cat (so you''re in luck). It still could be allergies though. I'm only saying this because I worked at a shelter and saw it happen a lot. I'll also tell you that they used to euthanize cats if the URI got too bad.... so if that's what it is honestly you probably just saved the cats life.... if that's what it is. :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My cat has allergies, but he doesn't sneeze. His cause him to itch.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Vet!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Cats can have allergies - maybe you could try isolating him in a room with no feather/down bedding if you think that's what it is.

And it could just be a cold, but if it's been going on for more than a few days it's probably time for the vet, especially if his appetite is down.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 6:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It could be allergies I had a cat that would sneeze when we had the windows open and would get conjuntivitis as well. But the fact that he came from a shelter I would suspect a URI( upper respitory infection) This is very common. It takes about a week for it to show up and being around other cats who have it will cause it or he has had it in the past and stress from being in a new environment caused a flare up.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010