Question for Californians?

I am not sure I really understand the 'Legalizing Marijuana' issues on the ballot.
Does this mean making it legal will mean that smoking Marijuana will be like smoking cigarettes? So anywhere you can smoke is legal?

I don't like either and I sure don't want it around my children or my pregnant self; especially in public places like parks!

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 2:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• About Proposition 19
    The Problem
    Today, hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars are wasted enforcing the failed prohibition of cannabis (also known as marijuana). Currently, cannabis is easier for kids to get than alcohol. Prohibition has created a violent criminal market run by international drug cartels. Police waste valuable resources targeting non-violent cannabis consumers, while thousands of violent crimes go unsolved. And there is $14 billion in marijuana sales every year in California, but our debt-ridden state sees none of the revenue that would come from controlling and taxing it. Cannabis prohibition has failed.

The Solution
    We need a common sense approach to control and tax cannabis like alcohol.

Proposition 19 was carefully written, in order to:
    Control cannabis like alcohol, allowing adults 21 and over in California to possess up to one ounce of cannabis, to be consumed at home or licensed establishments

DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Give state and local governments the ability to tax the sale of cannabis for adult consumption

Put our police priorities where they belong, by ending the arrests of non-violent cannabis consumers, saving hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars a year and enabling police to focus on violent crime

Generate billions in annual revenue to fund what matters most in California: jobs, healthcare, public safety, parks, roads, transportation, and more

Cut off funding to violent drug cartels across our border who currently generate 60 percent of their revenue from the illegal U.S. marijuana market

DeegansMomma08

• Protect our kids, our roads, and our workplaces, by increasing the penalty for selling marijuana to minors, banning the smoking of marijuana in public, on school grounds, and while minors are present, maintaining strict criminal penalties for driving under the influence of marijuana, and preserving employers’ rights to maintain drug-free workplaces

Protect medical cannabis patients’ rights

DeegansMomma08

• See, it's very dangerous when people don't even know what it entails, but they just automatically say "I don't want this crap to be legal". It would not change a thing, those who smoke now will continue to smoke, those who don't, won't. The only thing it will do is make our jails less crowded, and generate tax revenue. What's so horrible about that?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Not in California.. But the answer is "no" it would not be like cigerettes.

It would be regulated like alcohol is.. Alcohol can only be consumed in specific places, alcohol can only be purchased in certain places, a person must be a specific age to by alcohol..etc.

Marijuana would be regulated just like alchohol is. It would not be a pot smoking free for all..

Possession of less than 1oz, is only a "violation" where I live. Meaning, you get a ticket, it's not even an misdemeanor offense or considered a criminal offense. However, people are not walking around smoking pot all over the place like they do cigerettes.

Just as people with commmon sense do not walk up and down the streets drinking and showing their butts. People with common sense will not be walking up and down the street smoking weeds and showing their butts.. LOL
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Sorry, but if people want to do something, they'll find a way to do it, regardless of whether or not it's legal. Matter of fact, I know for a FACT a lot of teenagers want to do it BECAUSE it's illegal (same with alcohol). I grew up in a country where the legal drinking age is 16, and marijuana has been legal for a long time. Yet, we had no problems with teenage alcoholism or teenage drug abuse? Why? Because when it's legal, it takes the "thrill" out of it. I personally don't care for pot, but yes, I have tried it. Wasn't addictive to me. And a gateway drug? No way. It's just not true. Furthermore, the worst thing a pothead will do is raid your pantry, now think about what a drunk driver can do... Which is worse?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I voted in favor because IMO it is the financially prudent solution. I do not smoke MJ
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I hoping that Oregon will soon follow suit soon and has a legalization vote.

In Oregon: possession of less than 1oz for personal use is a misdemeanor (here in Multnomah county it isn't even a misdemeanor it's just a "violation" like jay walking), we have legalized medical use, we have even legalized the growth/cultivation of Industrial hemp (state ag department are still working out the guidelines due to fed laws)..

. We have "Decriminalized" already.. It's time we just go ahead and legalize, regulate and tax. We could seriously use the revenue of our states #1 cash crop these days.. LOL
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Ummm, marijuana smoke is actually LESS dangerous to your children or your pregnant self than cigarette smoke, but regardless... This is basically what Prop 19 says: Allows people 21 years old or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. Permits local governments to regulate and tax commercial production and sale of marijuana to people 21 years old or older. Prohibits people from possessing marijuana on school grounds, using it in public, smoking it while minors are present, or providing it to anyone under 21 years old. Maintains current prohibitions against driving while impaired.

So no, it would NOT be legal to smoke in public.

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't drink alcohol let alone smoke Cannibus, but legalizing it seems the way to go. Especially after reading that it may help in taxes and revinues. We need to also control the levels of crime as mentioned by deegansmommao8. I live in Nevada, but we also have issues out here with it as well as any other state.
    I am tired of seeing kids or young adults get in trouble for it when there are much larger persons causing trouble.
    I am sure law makers have thought this out.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010