Should "Fatties" Get a Room? (Even on TV?)

From Marie Claire magazine

The other day, my editor asked me, "Do you really think people feel uncomfortable when they see overweight people making out on television?"

Because I can be kind of clueless — I'm not much of a TV person — I had no idea what she was talking about, so she steered me to this CNN article, about the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly. As CNN explains, "the show centers around a couple who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous group [and] has drawn complaints for its abundance of fat jokes [as well as] cries from some viewers who aren't comfortable watching intimacy between two plus-sized actors."

My initial response was: Hmm, being overweight is one thing — those people are downright obese! And while I think our country's obsession with physical perfection is unhealthy, I also think it's at least equally crazy, albeit in the other direction, to be implicitly promoting obesity! Yes, anorexia is sick, but at leas

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 2:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny. No one who is as fat as Mike and Molly can be healthy. And obesity is costing our country far more in terms of all the related health problems we are paying for, by way of our insurance, than any other health problem, even cancer.

So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• "Fat" doe not mean "unhealthy"
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• And we wonder why our kids think it's okay to bully eachother? Thoughts? Btw she did issue an apology.
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't really care to see anybody making out, personally, but that's just me.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• While I do think it is not a good idea to promote being unhealthy, this woman is just being mean.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Just like anything else, if you don't like it, change the channel. You know what they say... about opinions and buttholes...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• ballewal, fat at one point or another always bring out health issues of one kind or another, it is only a matter of time........,just because you are fat like my daughter, who is also healthy at the moment only because she is young, does not mean that the health issues will not eventually catch up with you.

Answer by older at 2:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• First, just because someone is fat doesn't mean they are unhealthy. Second, if you don't like what you are seeing CHANGE THE CHANNEL. I am NOT offended by the show, I like the show. Third, people wonder why so many kids are being bullied at school? Could it be from closeminded, better than thou parents who teach their kids to be that way?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• wow!! I think this is extremely shallow. It's absolutely appauling to know how judgemental our society is. They are people. yes, obesity is a problem, but it's also a reality. So Obese people shouldn't love? Absurd. Maybe instead of public outcry about how "uncomfortable" the viewers are, those same people should be doing something in their communities to help instead of judge. Just my opinion. Our society is WAY to obsessed with "beauty." There is beauty in everyone, regardless of body shape.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010