My daughter's Best friend...

Is a Jehovah's Witness. Any my family were not. They met in Kindergarten last year and became very close. I went on all the field trips with My daughter's class and I have met her, her name is Kyliegh very sweet little girl.Also I met her dad at one of the field trips. When I asked Kyliegh if we could make a play date she told me that she is not allowed to play with anyone that is not a a Jehova's Wintess. This is where Im confused. What do I say to my daughter?She wants her friend to come over and play, stay the night.My daughter doesnt understand why she cant.Why does she even go to a public school??Her parents want the teacher to make sure that she doesn not celebrate anything no ones birthday, little parties they throw for some holidays. I have nothing against what anyone's religion is at all. I just feel sorry for my daughter Jordan. She get's so sad that I tell her no it's not possible.

ILovemybabies12

Asked by ILovemybabies12 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is a tough one! Encourage her to hang out with other kids. She can still be friends with this little girl in school, of course, but she shouldn't be spending all of her time with this little girl as the relationship probably won't go very far. I've never heard of such a crazy thing. Good luck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have heard of the no friends of other religions outside of school, but they are over the line for telling the teacher to always keep her seperate for EVERYTHING. As if it is the teachers responsibility to give this one child something else to do everyday when there is something the parents might not like. What if every parent had a list of things their child couldn't do?!? I understand wanting them to be taken away from foods they have allergies to and things like that, but to tell the teacher she is not allowed to wish her friends happy birthday is absurd! Your poor daughter. I guess the best you can do is explain that sometimes people follow different rules for the way they believe in God and her friends parents have decided that means she cannot play with other children when she is not in school.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• She did have two best friends but one did not return to this school this year she moved away. So lol my daughter picks one's she cant play with and that move away. I hope she continues to be friends with Kyliegh she is a really sweet kid but I really want her not to just focus on one friend.

Yeah it is crazy they asked the teacher that I only know this because the teacher and I were discussing Jordan and Kyliegh and that they had a great friendship and it was sad because it wont grow at all. But time will tell what my little Ms.Jordan will do:) thanks for replying:) I do appreciate it
    ILovemybabies12

Comment by ILovemybabies12 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Honestly get to know some of the other momma's of girls in her class make playdates I'll bet in no time she'll completly forget about the little girl. She'll just get her feelings hurt from not being able to have her over or even to a bday..I wouldn't want my child to feel bad i'd probably get her playing with other little girls..To me that sounds like a rude way of putting it I can't play with you because ur not a jehova's witness??? I wouldn't want her playing with her sorry...It's almost as if she thinks she's better than the rest of the kids..
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• have you asked the parents about a play date? Maybe the little girl heard her parents say that one day and took it out of context. Ask them if there are any activites the girls can do together outside of school.

As far as the seperating from things go, I know how that is. I remembr going ot school with a girl that was Jewish. She wasn't allowed ot participate in certain things either. She could do birthday parties. But if it was something to do with Halloween, Christmas, ghosts, goblins, she had to go to the library and help the librarian while that went on.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 3:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• For now anyway, their relationship will continue to grow as it has before, within the same perimeters it had been. Playing at recess, working together at school~

I see that family's perspective a bit as there are children I wouldn't be comfortable allowing my kids hang out with (outside of school).
    If the family is okay with them playing together at school perhaps they would be okay with double-family outings. Both girls' parents can escort them on a playdate to the park or where ever~
    Perhaps the family needs to see that you are "good people" and may slowly feel comfortable.

Is Kyliegh their first child?

I think pesonally, that I whould have asked the parents and not the child.
    Maybe there is more/less to the story. ?
    You might try asking them--
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• If it were me, I would talk to the parents and make sure all the facts are correct. Ask questions about their beliefs and guidelines for your daughters' friendship. Then I would use this opportunity to discuss how we are all different and the truth about her religious restrictions and how you should accept and respect her beliefs.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would talk with the parents because I don't think that it could possibly part of the religion as to why she cannot play with your daughter. I would let them know that you respect their beliefs and that so will your daughter. I would also explain to my daughter how their religion is different from yours.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• i agree, talk to the girls parents, maybe if you can assure them that you will follow their "rules" they will be more than happy to have your kiddos play together... maybe its just fear of what may "happen" in a non-member house...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2010