Do you always have to pass your mucous plug in order to dilate?

I know stupid question! But, I went to the doctor last week and was dilated to 1 cm but I haven't noticed losing my mucous plug...I haven't really had a lot of discharge at all...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, you do not have to pass your mucus plug to dilate. 1 cm dilated is very little progress, so I wouldn't be too worried.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Nope sure dont. But be excited 1cm is better than nothing :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No you don't have ot lose it. I didn't lose it with any of mine. With my first I didn't dilate until after they started my induction. With our second I was 7 centimeters when I got ot the hospital and with our 3rd I was 4 cm when I got ot the hospital. I didn't have a lot of discharge with them either.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 2:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• While one centimetre is hardly enough to lose your plug, you can lose it at any point now! Losing your plug doesn't necessarily make you dilate more, but a dilating cervix WILL make you more likely to lose your plug. Also, unless your doctor has told you that it's still in there, you could have lost it already! Lots of women don't even notice the passing of their plugs, losing it during urination or in bits and pieces, for example. Other ladies' plugs make a dramatic appearance. I heard of one woman whose plug escaped while she was sleeping, and she woke up thinking that either her water broke or she'd peed the bed. Another's husband found hers during a certain sexual act... The fun things you get t o look forward to. ;)
    lyricsoprano90

Answer by lyricsoprano90 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It will always come out, but you wont always notice it. I noticed both of mine. But my mom said she never noticed with any of her pregnancies.

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/mucous-plug.shtml

Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Mine didn't come out till I was in the hospital, and in labor, and 5 cm dilated. With my second, I was 3 cm dilated, and it came out at home.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 5:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I didn't lose mine until I was 5 or 6cm dilated. Before that, I lost a few pieces of it during the week before labor, but not much.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010