At a loss...don't know what to do.

I feel like we're not making any headway at all with our son, as far as his tantrums and whining go.

I've been getting complaints from his teacher at Head Start about his behavior there. Tantrums, crying, whining--all when he doesn't get his way. She gave me ideas to help him, which I in turn shared with DH since he's the one that spends the majority of time with him. Well none of it seems to be working. I was asked to start picking him up an hour early each day and did that for a week, but they let him go back to his regular schedule when I told them it was inconvenient for me to leave work so early.

I admit, his tantrums were catered to, by DH mostly, ever since he started having them (around 10 months old). Tried telling him that it was a bad idea because it was going to come back and bite us in the rear end one of these days, and here we are now. I'm afraid they'll end up kicking him out of school next. Any advice?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you considered seeing a developmental ped to make *sure* there isn't a 'reason' for the tantrums. My son was the same way in pre-k and half was though k-5 was diagnosed with a form of High Functioning Autism, Asperger's. Just a thought.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• it sounds similiar to my son however, he was never really catered too, he's just been a "hard" child - testing every step of the way , every phase and for some reason it comes accross in this whine tone that has yet to go away...and tantrums also quite often.. I dont' have much advice as he is turning 3 in a week... ugh.. but I feel your pain - email me if you want to vent :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When my son started having some major tantrums a friend mentioned seeing a chiro. The doc adjusted him in 3 places and within days he was like a different child. Anytime either of my children seem to be acting up more then normal I take them in. Sometimes he finds something that needs adjusted and it changes their whole temperament within days and sometimes he finds nothing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I felt the same way through Pre-K! Every day it was Mrs____ we need to talk to you about_____. Or Mrs. ____ We are still having issues with _____. I was like GEEZ! does he do ANYTHING right for you? lol. It makes you feel horrible. right?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• PS.. my son is also being evaluated by the Early childhood intervention... I have befriended But Mommie recently for similar issues and stresses that we shared... kind of like how you were feeling.. ..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• PPS...lol.. my son has been seeing a chiro since he was 4 months old.. the only area it helped him was infant constipation and only temporary relief..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I dont have any advice but im going thro the same thing with my son(3yr) & husband I tried telling him in the begging to stop spoiling him & NOW he wonders why hes such a brat. GOOD LUCK
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think that was something they briefly touched on during our parent teacher conference, but they didn't elaborate further. I think they wanted to see if his behavior could be corrected by other methods first. I will bring it up with them, maybe they can help me get him tested.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I hope that's not the case of course, and that he'll outgrow this behavior. I just wish that they would tell me something good he did rather than something bad. :( He really is a sweet boy at home (most of the time), but then he's an only child and he doesn't have to share with anybody either.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thank you maxsmom, I appreciate that.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010