what would you do if you found a backpack an no one was around to claim it ?

my friend was in this situation an now has a felony theft charge, they say thier was $1500.00 in it she says nothing but her dumb ass threw it away instead of giving it back.

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Leave it there or put it in lost in found
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Turn it in to the lost and found wherever I found it.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• With money in it? I would turn it in to the police. Someone was or will be looking for it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'd turn it in, or try to find some ID inside.... I sure wouldn't keep it.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• turn it in to lost and found, look inside for ID, call the police if anything valuable was inside, give it to good will if none of the above yielded results.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• A suspicious backpack lying around with no one there?
    I would tell the security about it, not touch it or go near it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we found a purse on the side of the road once, at a turn off point. we stopped, looked in it and found wallet/papers/lipstick/cell..we took it to the nearest police station, and of course, we were questioned. the thing is..what if this was a clue in a disappearance or worse? i felt we had done the right thing, even when they started questioning us. for we knew, someone had lost it in a struggle to get away, or it'd been thrown out of a vehicle, or idk.
    we've often wondered what the story was.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I probably wouldn't touch it or I'd alert a security guard to it's whereabouts. Obviously there is more to the story you aren't telling. How did they know she found the backpack? I doubt she just tossed it in the trash without looking in it if she took the time to actually pick it up.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• How could your friend get charged for throwing it away? That is what I would like to know.

If she did nothing more than throw it away then she should be able to beat the rap.

Personally I have a feeling she isn't telling you the whole story.

Something similar happened to my dh, he carpooled with a guy and one night after a LONG 12 hour shift than a two hour commute through a blizzard he forgot his backpack in the guys' car. The guy never came back to work, didn't return phone calls. We went to his house and his dad said, "Yeah, it was in the back of MY car I put it in the house when I kicked him out." BUT all dh's stuff was missing, expensive planner, PDA, cell phone...we went to the cops and they followed us back, the guys dad had everything and gave it up AND then was charged with theft of lost or mislaid personal belongings. We got everything back but still he was in the wrong.

I think someone isn't telling facts.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• yeah i would turn it in & see if there is an ID
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010