Circumcision and a diaper rash adult content

My son is 4 days old. He was circumcised hours after birth and the doctor wants me to keep vasoline on a gauze pad on it for about 10 days and change the dressing every diaper change. I've been doing that but I haven't been using anything else because I was afraid to. 2 days ago he started looking red on his bottom so I started using a diaper cream that seems to be making it worse. His buttocks are so raw that they're bleeding. Does anyone know of anything that I can use on the diaper rash that won't affect his healing penis?

bbsheep

Asked by bbsheep at 2:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• air. let him go diaper-less for a few hours a day. Are you breast feeding? If so cut out you acidic foods. Make sure you are wipin ghis bottom after very diaper even the wet ones and patting it dry before re diapering.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If the diaper rash isnt healing you should call the pedi...its possible he has yeast infection rash. This is common and they prescribe a cream to put on it. You can also try another type of cream. I really like Aveno's diaper cream. Still put the vasoline around the penis and the cream on the other. Another tip....bathe his bottom and let him air dry. GIve his bottom "air time" several times during the day(keep him on a towel or blanket) Make sure he is 100% dry before any cream goes on. Good luck....
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Oh and use a washcloth with water instead of wipes until it heals
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• at least alcohol free wipes! SOrry I totally forgot to mention that! Good call Crazy4u.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• um try a&d thas what i used when mine was like that
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 2:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• something with zinc oxide for his bottom.keeep penis in vaseline tho. and call dr. about the bleeding
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Bring him to the Pediatrician and let them take a look ASAP. He should be seen by one any day now anyway. Have you made an appointment? Write down a list of questions that you want to ask about other things too so you don't forget when you are there. That's what I did. But see a Pediatrician soon.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No diaper = no diaper rash. air is the best cure
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• A diaper rash caused by a yeast infection won't improve with regular diaper cream, so you'll definitely want to see the pediatrician. There are creams you can use, but with a baby that young and no previous diagnosis, you should definitely let a Dr take a look to be sure what's causing it. Using a washcloth in place of wipes temporarily is also a great suggestion. Letting his bottom dry a little before putting a diaper on, or even giving him a little belly time with no diaper on (maybe once his circumcision heals) will help prevent diaper rash too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• A&D ointment not the cream is the best to use
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010