!8 Month Old - Why is he not? ;(

Im so worried about my son, he is not talking what so ever, he is babbling, he said eeeeeeeeeeee, aaaaaaaa, ooooooooo, but not talking he says dada once in a while but not to his dad, he calls me mama once in a while. He doesn't point when he whats something, he doesn't clap or stack objects. He laughs, if i tell him no he stops what he is doing, if he is in the crib and i say jump he jumps and when i say stop he stops. If i ask for a kiss he gives me one, if i ask him to come here he comes. If i say William yo gabba gabba on, he runs to the TV. The doctor is referring him to therapist, why am i so worried. I feel like its my fault, I'm home with him 24/7 why is he not talking ;( (i just wanna cry)...

KeishaWoods

Asked by KeishaWoods at 2:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My very best friends son started speech therapy at 2. He is doing awesome! :0) With no other delays I think things will be fine. DOn't worry! It happens and you are addressing it so you are already doing the right thing!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• All children are different. Don't worry. He will catch up eventually.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• you should pray about your fears...and understand that all children reach milestones at different ages. and it doesnt sound like he has a learning disability, just maybe a little speech therapy...and that has nothing to do with you....lots of boys have this problem....dnt get to concerned yet he is still young...its cool momma just enjoy him...and you can learn with him and how to teach him through the therapy...
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• im trying, i guess im looking at other 18 month olds and i see stuff he is not doing and im getting worried. Thanks...
    KeishaWoods

Comment by KeishaWoods (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Does he have older siblings or children he is around a lot? My oldest didn't really speak much until he was about 2 years old and I think it was mainly because he didn't have older children to model himself after. He is now 5 years old and in kindergarten and has no issues at all. His teacher says he is doing very well and is ahead in many areas. The milestones are generalizations so don't worry too much about it. My son did get evaluated by a speech therapist, but mainly because he was tongue tied at birth (we got it clipped at birth) and the doctor wanted to make sure that wasn't causing any problems. You are getting him evaluated and that is what is important. Listen to what the therapist has to say and go from there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My middle child did not start talking till PAST 2. He is 3 1/2 now and does NOT shut up! They were going to start him in speech therapy, but right at that time we had to move (to another state) and all the sudden he started talking as if he always had been...LOL. Maybe your son is keeping it all internal too.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Even if he has a delay, it is NOT your fault! The reason he is doing so well at other things is due to the time you spend with him. My oldest has autism and I blamed myself for a long time like there was something I actually did that caused it. I look at him now compared to other kids his age (13) with autism and I know he is where he is (being mainstreamed into typical classes) because of all the hours I spent working with him when he was younger.
    Get the evaluation from the therapist and that will give you direction on where to go next. Don't compare him to other kids, start making notes on where he is now, keep a progress journal and you can compare where he is in 6 months to where he is now and you will be amazed at how far he's come!
    Delay or not, enjoy these years - they go by so fast!!

Answer by missanc at 2:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• @aeneva, he is the only, i just feel like crap.
    KeishaWoods

Comment by KeishaWoods (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thanks ladies, for all your advice, i really appreciate it, it so good to have people give you positive advice.
    KeishaWoods

Comment by KeishaWoods (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I know you are worried, but you are doing exactly what is needed for your son! If he has delays, its not life threatening. Accepting that he needs to see a therapist, is a great first step! I know some people who could never accept their child was not "normal", and inn the end, those kids suffer.
    If your son is being referred, just do it. And by the time he starts school, he will be close, if not caught up. And if not, you hold him back a year. Do whatever you need to do to help your child achieve his milestones on time. Every kid is different, and some need extra help. Just get him the extra help, and let him do his thing. You are doing a wonderful job mommy.
    And...
    My younger brother was behind when he tested for kindergarden, way behind. So my parents held him back a year. And now he is almost finished with his degree with honors at Duke University. Your boy will be fine with some help :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2010