husband and wife vacation with out the kids

If you have the money, time, and a safe place for the kids (ie. grandparents) would you take a vacation for a week with out the kids?

What kid ages would you feel comfortable doing so?
Why do you think it would be good for the two of you?
Do you think it is wrong to do so?

Just for reference... how old are your kids currently and how long have you been married?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• maybe for a couple of days but not a week
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What kid ages would you feel comfortable doing so?preobably when theyre both school aged.... like 6 or 7
    Why do you think it would be good for the two of you?It would be amazing! Anytime alone with out the kids is awesome. Its good for your realtionship to take a break here and there. FUN FUN FUN!
    Do you think it is wrong to do so? Nope, as long as you knew your kids were safe. I would only be able to drive to California and drop them off with my little brother then do whatever. If you know theyre safe and have the money to return early if you have to the DO IT!!

Just for reference... how old are your kids currently and how long have you been married? My have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old. Four amazing years!

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I couldn't, yet. Maybe when he's much older, like 10? We haven't been on vacation since before he was born (he was conceived on our last one!) and the thought of going on one without him is appalling to us.

My BIL & SIL went to Cancun last year and left my nephew (same age as my son) with MIL for almost 2 weeks. They were gone for about 4 days when they started missing him terribly and they ended up not enjoying their vacation at all. Unfortunately, it wasn't anything they could get out of. Hotel room was paid for, airline tickets bought, etc. etc. They said they would never leave him for long periods like that again.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I could do it for a weekend tops but not for a whole week for quite some time if ever. My kids aren't even in school yet so at this point even the thought of a weekend away makes me uneasy. But I would love to have at least a little time with DH where we could be a couple again for a little while.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i would.but not now. i would wait until my kids are all atleast potty trained to take that long of a vacation, maybe longer. my youngest is 3 months...dh and i have been married for 5 yrs and are still considered a young couple. and having 3 kids kind of makes the focus them and not us (which is where is should be for) but for our marriage to survive i think connecting alone like that is crucial to our marriage. once ds is weened, we may even take a 2 day vacation.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I couldn't do a week away until the youngest is probably preschool. My oldest three are 9, 10, and 13 and I have spent a week away from them, but my little ones are almost 2 and 3 1/2 months. Next summer when the youngest turns 1 my husband and I are already planning a long weekend for just the two of us at the beach - both of our parents have places at the the beach so cost won't be an issue. I think parent's only vacations are very important. My parents went away for at least 4-5 days/year while I was growing up. It helps rekindle the relationship and keep the fires burning - the best gift you can give your children is to love your spouse! I've been married to my husband for 2 years.

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would I actually can't wait to get away on a real vacation. My daughter is 6 months old and I have been married for 11 months but we found out I was pregnant right before the wedding so we didn't go on a honeymoon. I think as long as they are with someone you can trust then there should be no reason you can't take a vacation as long has you have the money to do so. Though my husband doesn't want her staying with someone overnight until she is at least 7. I think that as long as they can talk and voice their needs it will be fine. We have a regular babysitter who is also my daughters godmother that watches her when I work at night so I would trust her with my daughter for a week. I think it will benefit us because I watch the baby during the day and work 4 nights a week while my husband has a full time job and works a part time job 5 nights a week and he plans on going to school this coming spring.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you have the money, time, and a safe place for the kids (ie. grandparents) would you take a vacation for a week with out the kids?
    ~ yes we would.

~Maybe when she is about 5.

~ My SO and I do everything with our DD. We rarely leave her with someone so we can go do something fun. But when we do, its always so great! We get to reconnect on a different level, not just as mommy and daddy. So I think a vacation could fuel the passion and make for a great trip! :)

~ Not at all! I see something wrong when people leaves their kids CONSTANTLY with someone else so they can go out and do their own thing. But not us. I am a SAHM, so I am with DD 24/7. And SO and I hardly ever do anything that she cannot come with us to.

DD is 17 months and we have been together 4 1/2 years.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We took a week long cruise with no kids. They were 12, 7, and 5. That was the first and only time so far we have done anything longer than an overnight without the kids. We take an annual week long vacation with the kids as well as several weekend trips so taking one for ourselves did not make us feel guilty.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i think parents only vacations are necessary to keeping a relationship healthy. we rarely have the money to go on family vacations, so a parents only trip is out of the question right now. if we had the money though, i'd LOVE to go on a cruise for a week with my SO. my kids are 10 and 1 1/2 and i would have no problem at all leaving them with my parents for a week or more. in fact, my son spent 5 weeks this past summer touring the west with my dad and loved every minute of it. i did miss him but he called every night to tell me about his day and so i could tell him goodnight. as it is, both of my children spend every saturday night with grandparents (my oldest with mine and my youngest with my SO's). its nice to have that time alone with my SO to reconnect as a couple. usually we dont have the money to do anything exciting, we just order in some food and watch movies while snuggled up on the couch all night (usually naked).
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 3:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010