refried beans and tacos

Do you have refried beans when you have tacos?
Do you mix them into the taco meat or have them on the side?

We started mixing them into the taco meat to make it last longer (a plus with a large family). I'm making tacos for lunch and our freaking can opener broke and I can't open my refried beans so I'm sad.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 2:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Oh no! A lot of times we just have bean burritos. We are trying to get away from eating meat.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We don't have a side dish when we eat tacos. Tacos is enough of a meal for us.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• well i am vegetarian and the rest are not so a lot of times we do both a pan of meat and some refried beans - they like them mixed and i will just do beans. stretches the meat farther too.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I get in trouble if I mix them, even though I'd rather. I serve them alongside the toppings, and jsut smear some on the shell for those who want them.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Oh - another thing to try that I have gotten away with - mash black beans into the meat to stretch it - I've done that for other meals and it's easier to "hide" the beans from my picky family. (I cook the meat, drain, then add in the beans & smash them.)
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Mine don't mind the refried beans.  At first they (mostly my oldest) threw fits when I put them in so I would just smear them on my tacos before the meat but then I decided putting them in the meat stretched the meat farther so they either ate them like that or went without.

Their only problem was I use 2 cans (I make 3lbs of tacos at a time...with ground turkey).  One is usually plain beans and the other was usually a spicy kind.  I like the chipolte ones (readily available in the area of Chicago I lived in).  Now they are both plain so no one complains.

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I put a layer of refried beans on my tacos so that its meat - cheese - beans - other toppings. I serve mexican rice as a side dish with them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I like doing that, but hubby is not a refried bean fan. So it's seperate at our house. Mixing a can of chili is really good too in place of refried beans.
    my5

Answer by my5 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we do it on the side. I spread the beans on my soft shell then add other stuff. When I close my shell the beans hold the shell closed.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 9:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I make tacos with lentils (and sometimes add sweet potatoes); we have them with beans and rice

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010