When do your nipples 'OPEN UP' for breastfeeding? adult content

i am 35 weeks pregnant and haven't had a leak or anything from my breasts. I've noticed theyre darker and larger and my nipples are a bit stretched on the inside. I can see little specks of dry skin in my nipple daily but no leakage or nothing.....Is there something I should do to prepare my nipples to give milk??

NefDaGoddess

Asked by NefDaGoddess at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No it will come on it's own after the birth. some women will leak colostrum some won't. It may be nice to start using lanolin to soften them a few weeks before your due date but that to isn't necessary...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• @ But Mommie

Ok..so im guessing it does have something to do with hormones being released then. Thank you.
    NefDaGoddess

Comment by NefDaGoddess (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I never leak or anything before birth and I have had 3 children that all breastfed.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Nope. It is a natural process that will all occur on it's own. Good luck!!! Oh, and as for the dry skin, I like Lansinoh (a lanolin based ointment). :D
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 5:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Actually it is hormonal. The same hormone that starts your labor,Oxytocin, will start your milk production to feed this baby once it's born. There is no preparations needed. I do recommend the Lansinoh ointment as well. It will help prevent cracked nipples and is safe for baby to ingest so you don't need to wash it off before nursing. It may be uncomfortable at first, but breastfeeding shouldn't hurt. I never "leaked" until after I gave birth.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010