Toddler Discipline

My DD is 17 months old and very smart and sweet.
But when she gets tired, she gets grumpy and mean. She will try to kick the dog (not hard, but just to be mean. and the dog moves away). Or she will try to hit me or her dad.

I have tried talking to her about what she did and time outs. I will put her in time out with no toys, nothing to entertain her, and after 2 minutes I ask her if she is ready to be nice. She will, more often than not, tell me "no". And when she does say "yes" she comes out and does the same thing again, and says "time out" and walks over to it. She sits in time out and counts her fingers. It doesnt seem to bother her at all.

I have tied swatting her diaper (not hard, but enough to show im not messing around), and that doesnt help.

Anyone have this same experience? What has worked for your toddler?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 3:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children will try to alter many things in your life...and bed time is usually one of the first...if you want her to do something she needs to understand that when mommy or daddy says something they mean business...and I am all for the spanking thats what Jesus give it for use it...not beating just a good ol' booty warmin....but she sounds like a very strong willed girl...prolly little like her momma...lol...just keep lettin her know when momma means business it aint time to mess around... consistency is always best...once you start something dont stop bc they are not responding...just keep it up ..she will eventually get it...good luck
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• stick to your guns... she just has a strong personality.... and in that case yes spanking does work to and extent and i'm sure you know that....
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My DS sounds like your DD. He is 18 months old and is an angel most of the time but look out if he is hungry and/or sleepy. If he is sleepy I know it is time to put him in bed and if he is hungry to feed him. But during those times when he is protesting he can be a little monster. Hitting me, pulling my hair pulling at my face. I just recently decided to put an end to this as I thought he was too young to discipline but I do tell him firmly, " You do not hit mommy!" I take his hands and hold them firmly. If he doesnt' stop I put him in his pack n' play until he calms down. That sends the message that I will not tolerate his behavior. I will leave him in "time out" for about 30 seconds to a minute and he is usually okay after that.
    PatricksMama07

Answer by PatricksMama07 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I start with time out and when i release her from time out (which I found time out had to be mean, I make her touch her nose to the wall otherwise she just wiggles around and laughs about it) When I let my 2 year old out of time out I tell her to apologize for her actions then I warn her if she does it again I will spank her, then she knows its comin and theres no suprize, then i tell her I love her. My kiddo is strong willed as well and I feel your pain.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• sounds like u have a strongwilled one. i have the same issue. i would emphasize that "it makes u sad when she acts like that" i did that and i made it look like i was about to cry and dd said "dont be sad mommy, i be good" and she was.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• First of all, stop the spanking. You're saying that it doesn't work. Second of all, why can't you just put her to sleep when she starts acting that way?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• First of all, my kid, my chioce with spanking. period.
    Secondly, she is on a schedule. She sleeps and eats at certain times, and I intend to keep it that way. So I can just put her down an hour after she takes her morning nap and throw her off.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• *can't
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your advice!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• what happens around the times that this happens? could she need an adjustment to her schedule? You said when she is tired but also said it happens an hour after nap. It sounds like she is strong willed.. but could there be a stimulus that you haven't thought of yet? My son is strong willed and timeouts do not do a thing for him.. and spankings only work part of the time.. most of the time he needs a change of scenery or a new activity, and he is fine.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010