Has anyone had a baby girl with a catheter inserted to test for a UTI?

My daughter was running a high fever for a few days, so they tested for a UTI with a catheter insertion. The tests showed no infection. Now, 2 days later, she screams and cries when she urinates and when I change her diaper - the dr said there was a little "trauma" (i.e. cut/scrape) when they did the catheter and that it may "bother her for a little while" but this seems awful for her - has anyone had this done to their baby, and did it seem to hurt her afterwards? Do you know how long it lasted? Was there anything you could do to ease the pain?

LindaWhit

Asked by LindaWhit at 1:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• inserting a cath may have given her an infection even though she didn't have one before. You should ask the doc. But don't allow anymore caths. That is messed up. Not you, the doc's. I have serious doctor rage.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 1:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My daughter had one and was screaming! I fealt HORRIBLE. She didnt cry anytime after but I know when I had my cath removed it hurt for a little while. Poor baby :(
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Just from personal experience with catheters I can tell you that it can sting and burn for a couple of days afterwards. It's a very invasive and traumatic thing for an adult, let alone a little girl. I agree with Hartless, perhaps the procedure caused and infection. I'd let her doctor know that it still seems to be quite painful for her. Ask the doc what they suggest for the pain. Maybe children's motrin or tylenol will take the edge off for her.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Inserting a forgein object that might introduce an infection doesn't sound like a good way to test for infection now does it? Don't allow them to do that to her again and you probably want to change doctors. Where do they come up with these things and what happened to "Do No Harm"
    older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 1:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• OMG! i am glad I've read this, I do remember having my catheter removed and the pain it cause at that very moment, I also had pain for about a week after, whenever i peed.

I hope i never have to have my little girl go through this. ..and now that i have read it i don't think i will.

Loba

Answer by Loba at 2:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Unfortunately, from a medical standpoint, there isn't a less invasive way to accuratelty test for a UTI in an infant (unless you want them to stick a needle thru their abdomen into their bladder)--for an infant they need a urine culture--in an adult, there are other tests they can do--and its a bit easier to get a culture if they need one, but for babies the results are generally incaccurate, and to do that, they need uncontaminated urine, hence the need for a catheter.

As horrible as you feel seeing your child in pain for a couple of days, its better than letting a UTI go untreated, particulalrly at that age.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Hi! sorry to say but now she may actually have one from the stupid catheter. They wanted to do that to my 9mth girl to. My sis forwarned me about it so i said absolutely not. The bags they give always come back contaminated and don't work. So this is what i did diaper off, bottle of water urine cup in one hand and I sat for 1 hr until she peed and i collected it with the cup works like a charm. Go back to the doc get a container collect it and test it again for uti. OR go to the drugstore and buy urine test strips kinda expensive but worth it and test it yourself ask the pharmiscist to explain to you how you can tell if it's a uti. Good luck don't ever do a cather again ever!!!! they cause uti's stupid mean painful things!
    MommaoflittleZ

Answer by MommaoflittleZ at 4:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008