Charter School

Are they better than public school? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Momforhealth

Asked by Momforhealth at 3:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in

• My husband's cousins have gone to charter school and they enjoy it. I don't know if it would be better or worse than public school, though.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I went to a National Heritage Academy that was absolutely awful. I think parents like them because they "feel" and look alot like private schools and they equate private schools with superior education but with NHA schools this is simply not the case. Every teacher, parent and administrator was judgmental, white, and christian. They were constantly pushing false information at us and there was no room for any student that was not content with sitting quietly while the teacher lectured on and on. They encouraged fundraising for political and religious organizations and played favorites with families. That all being said, I went to a charter high school (not nha, not a for profit school) that paid for me to get my associates degree. As in, I went to college. Fulltime. and I occasionally checked in with my BASE counseler. But it was real college classes with other students. www.themiddlecollege.org < that was my second AMAZING sc
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 11:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• They are like public schools - all different. I work in a charter that beats the pants off the local public BUT the local public is in achedemic emergency! (which in ohio is like a grade of F) while my school is "effective " ( like a B) and there is no violence here. in the public - kids are afraid for their safety.... so check the school's report card online and see what their rates are.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010

• I love the charter school my son goes to and I wish I would have put him in beginning in Kindergarten. Smaller class sizes, more interaction with the teachers, a better education. My son is in a charter high school that is college prep, project based and NO textbooks except for math classes. They are also required to do 15 hours a year of community service in order to graduate and there are no grades under a C. They work with kids to help them reach their potential and succeed. When the school has 440 kids in grades 9-12 and the regular high schools have almost 3000, it makes a difference.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Our charter schools are run by the local school boards so they aren't that much different from the public schools. Some of the charter schools focus on specific things like the arts, science, computers, etc.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• i like charter schools. My kids go to a charter school. My son has been there since the 1st grade he is in the 8th grade. their was an time when my son's grades we not very good. He brought them up & one of the teachers was so proud of him that he bought his class ice cream that day.( this was in a lower grade)

the teachers really care about the students.

my daughter has ben there since kindergarden. she is in the 3rd grade.

it goes k-12
    coolmom138

Answer by coolmom138 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010