My 3 year old

My 3 year old son is starting to count really good but he always says his numbers like 2356 or 23479 he always skips the number 1 and some of the other numbers but he knows them when you say them with him. Is there anything else I can do to help him not skip the numbers.

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, just work on it like you are doing. buy a Cd with the 123's in it so its a song... By the way thats awesome! Its good that he knows what he does already!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i wouldn't worry about it, he is still young and most likely gets very excited when he counts and that why he skips
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Just keep going over and over the numbers with him, but in a fun way. My son used to love to count the steps as we went up and down, we counted blocks, counted fruit as we put it in the bowl, counted to see how many cookies we baked, counted to see how many times we could toss a ball back and forth, etc. Count loud enough that he can hear you when you play hide n seek with him, so he'll hear you doing it right too, or whenever you count around him. My son always stood there and listened to me counting tsp. or cups or anything when I cooked/baked. He thought it was just fun, but he was learning and playing at the same time. Good luck, he'll get it! ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my son does the same thing, he thinks it's funny. he'll count just fine on his own when he feels like it. other times he'll count and mess up and when i ask what comes next he'll tell me idk... idk seems to be my 3 yr olds favorite words
    Bella3113

Answer by Bella3113 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My does the same thing. It's a game to him, he wants to see if I'll notice which number he left out. This week, it's three. Last week it was four, and the week before was eight. Just keep working on it with him, keeping the feeling light.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 11:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• my dd does that to. She seems to always have a new favorite number to skip, lol. I'm sure it's fine :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2010