How soon after you eat dinner and there is leftovers...........

can you put it in the fridge? I usually wait about an hour so it can cool.

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 3:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Depending on how hot it is I give it from 10 minutes to an hour.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• from what I've heard, you're supposed to wait until they get to room temp. We rarely have leftovers but the rare times we do, it is usually room temp by the time everyone is done eating. I have a couple slow eaters.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i wait for it to cool off too. it gets too much condensation if you put it in the fridge warm or hot i think
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You need to put the food in the frig before 2 hours have past.

Answer by louise2 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It's not a good idea to put steaming hot food in the refrigerator. It makes your refrigerator's condensor work too hard, and the outside of the food will cool quickly, leaving the inside still warm, a good way for bacteria to start growing. Usually by the end of dinner, food is cool enough to be stored. You could wait an hour, but if you wait more than two hours (from the time the food was taken off the stove (the heat source), you start bacteria growing. I find that it's better for me to put the food away when we finish eating. That way I don't take the chance of forgetting it and leave it out too long. Also, it's easier to clean up the dishes and clean the table when everyone is there, before they all spread out to various parts of the house. It's just a habit with us. Everyone helps. If I wait, then everyone is complaining because they've become involved in some other activity.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When we're done eating. It's usually cold enough by then.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Right away; food should not sit at room temperature for more than ninety minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• depending on the food-you can google it and it will show you sites that have charts with foods listed.I have one posted on my fridge
    MLH92108

Answer by MLH92108 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2010