Painting A Room

I have always been very intimidated by the idea of painting rooms. What's the first step? How do you do it correctly? How do you choose a good color? Anybody have any wisdom on the subject?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 3:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Ah. Well, Home Depot has one brand of paint that sells little pots of sample colors. But, if you don't shop there, you can get those little sample cards to take home. Tape them on the wall and check it out at different times of the day. The sunlight coming in will change the look at different times. As for the painting, you need to make sure the walls are clean, or paint won't stick. Some people tape, I don't. It's a pain in the ass. There is this little 2 inch angled brush, also at HD, with a rubbery blue handle. I use that one. It's comfortable. It's good for cutting in along the trim work and ceiling. Actually, I use it for the entire room. Most people use a roller, but I'm cheap. Rollers use lots more paint. And I find the painting to be therapeutic. Don't waste your money on those flat things that are meant for cutting in, either. Get the angled brush, and take your time. You will get better results. Cont.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Take off the electrical plates, too. You may want to put down plastic tarps, or old sheets to protect the carpet, too. In case of spills of paint.
    And remember, it's just paint. If you don't care much for the color, get another one. But, if you get lots of the cards, you should be able to pick a good color to begin with!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Oh! For most rooms, I suggest going with an eggshell finish. For bathrooms, satin. They are similar, but eggshell is just a bit more flat. Do not go with flat though. Eggshell is much nicer. Trim, go with semi-gloss.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• In selecting a color, I always start with a favorite item--pillow, vase, picture, upholstery, etc. and then grab a bunch of FREE paint strips from any home improvement/paint store. Then I tape the samples to the walls and check the color throughout the day so you can get an idea of what the color looks like in the morning, afternoon and evening--take into account the color of your carpeting or flooring and existing furniture!

To paint walls you need to TAKE YOUR TIME! Prepping the room and priming the walls is essential. Spackle and sandpaper cracks and dings with joint compound and a putty knife, then roll on 1-2 coats of a good sealer/primer, followed by 2 coats of paint. "Cut in" to corners and ceilings, and along windows, doors, and trim with a very small artist brush (I hate taping!) for best results, and use a 3/8" nap roller for a smooth finish. Quality paint gets quality results--I'd pay at least $30/gallon!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010