How long before food gets into milk supply?

I forget, how long does it take for what mom eats to get into the breastmilk and to the baby? DD had a milk allergy/sensitivity and I'm afraid DS has it in a mild form as well. He is very gassy especially at night, and I want to see what it is that is causing the gassiness (what I eat vs. OAL, etc).

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is different for each food because the time it takes for you to digest it is different for each food. Your best bet is to cut out one food at a time for a few days. For instance, if you think the allergy is to milk, cut out all dairy for a few days. Usually by day 3 there will be a noticeable difference if that was what the allergy was to.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It's pretty quick I think. I do know that with things like milk and soy that it takes a long time (like 2 weeks) for it to get out of your milk supply.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Not sure. I think the best thing to do in this situation is to remove all dairy from your diet for at least 2 weeks, see if you notice a change. After 2 weeks, you can test it by reintroducing something dairy into your diet and see if it affects your LO.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2010