I am lost please help (discipline)

I have posted many times about my SO kids they are horrible. We have recently implemented a chore chart and so far there has not been one day that all chores have been done. The boys are ages 11 and 12 I am asking them to do 5 chores a day per child is that too much?
The younger boy has a problem with getting in trouble at school (mostly for talking) but this week it has been for talking, fighting with another student and distracting another student. He does not really go any places so I can't take that away from him, he doesn't talk on the phone and we have already taken his beloved gaming systems. What else can I do?
The 3yo girl is starting to act just like her brothers and I know her logic is they can do why can't I, how do I correct it?

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• We were having an issue with SD where she would lollygag on her after-dinner chores and drag them out until bedtime to get out of having to finish. So we told her that if she didn't get them done by bedtime, we'd wake her up an hour early to finish them before school. We only had to do it once.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• How long have you and SO been together? Do you have a good relationship with them? I am have one SD and we went through the same thing. But the problem has been that DH has never really had rules until I came along and SD has lashed out ever since. Is your SO on board with the chores, and the discipline? That is the biggest thing, if he is not totally 100% backing you and enforcing these rules, chores etc as his own they will probably continue to act out.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have asked this to parents of grown children. They often tell me the same thing.

"Be consistent. Even if it seems to not be working at the moment, stick with it. Show that you won't give up"

I don't know either sometimes what to do. I think it's alot of the "entitlement syndrome" these days that just rubs off on our kids. So they're not motivated to contribute to the family team or even try to earn things. They just feel entitled to get things no matter what.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 3:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i would like to know why your dealing with HIS kids to begin with.....i have a strong feeling the step parents need to step back and let the bio parents be in charge of thier kids.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010