Is it "Un-Christian" like to celebrate Halloween???

Okay so someone on my face book page posted this question, so i wanted to get you ladies opinion. Is it "Un-Christian" like to celebrate Halloween? You know some people believe Halloween is the devils day, so what do you think is it right to celebrate Halloween especially on a Sunday. I'm celebrating it and my 18 month old is wearing a costume to church, so people think thats crazy, but its his grand dads church and he doesn't get into all the Halloween is the devils day stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• Depends on how strict your Christian/religion is I guess.

Answer by louise2 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I dont think it is at all. Our church is have trick or treating for the kids.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No I don't think it's Un-Christian to celebrate Halloween, because it has nothing to do with the devil.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Halloween has a long history. . .mostly forgotten anymore. If your faith is open to it there is no harm. Halloween can be a time to remember those who have passed on and celebrate the lives still here. Trick or treat and have fun. Many churches do "parties" too . . . GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 3:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I've been to churches that have celebrated Halloween. It's just a fun day to wear costumes and get candy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No I dont think it is Un Christian to celebrate Halloween.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 3:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It has nothing to do with the devil at all. In it's easiest terms it's the Pagan New Year and the Church celebrates All Saints Day on Nov 1st (and All Souls Day on Nov 2nd) and has been celebrated since in the church since 837. The festival used to be called "All Hallows" and the night before was called "All Hallows Eve" and then shortened to Halloween.

It was in the 20th century when Halloween was about pranks and in an effort to curb kids from behaving badly they started having parties with costumes, apple bobbing and eventually trick or treating. It's nothing evil and people who think so are just uneducated
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My kids go to Catholic school. They make a huge deal out of halloween. A breakfast, a halloween parade, a party at night. So no, they don't think it's un-christian.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• it is not un christian like to celebrate halloween..i think people really need to look back on all the history of halloween!
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on the person's convictions. One can take "bad" and turn it into "good" (said that way for anyone who feels it's the devil's day).

Personally, I don't celebrate certain aspects of the holiday but I like to decorate with the fun stuff and of course enjoy candy and whatnot. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 4:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010