Spanking

Do you do it? Do you not do it? Why? What do you do intead? How do you discipline? What seems to work for you?

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, we spank. We put the kids in the corner first and use spanking only as a last resort. I don't feel that my children have grown up fearful of me because of it either. My oldest is 7, and she no longer gets spanked, I feel that she is too old for it, but for the younger one, if we have to put her into the corner repeatedly and she still doesn't get it, then we spank. It's never more than once at a time, we don't bend them over our knees or use belts or anything like that, but I feel that a swift swat on the butt is an effective way to get her attention when nothing else has seems to be helping. My parents spanked, and I didn't grow up fearful of them.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• YES! We DO! Spanking, when used properly and in conjunction with other forms of discipline and consistently, is a wonderful training tool.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Nope, I don't. I don't see how you can teach a child anything by spanking, other than "hitting is okay". And I don't want my child to fear me, either. Time outs work great for us. One minute per year (so our 2 year old gets 2 minutes). First he gets a warning, then he gets put in his time out spot. At first, he'd come out of it, and we'd have to put him back (repeat 80 million times), but eventually he got it. Works like a charm for us!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I was spanked and I'm not afraid of my parents...I'm not violent, I don't think all this trying to reason with a 2 yr old is nonsense. I think that's whats wrong with a lot of kids today. There are no consequences, except mommy talking a lot.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 8:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• NEVER.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I did once.. I lost my temper.. I feel bad still about it.... he is turning 3 soon now.. my "plan" is to not have to unless its a danger situation.We try love and logic and even took the parenting class.. we are just doing our best everyday lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i do not spank. time outs and redirection work better. i think spanking teaches shame and that violence solves problems. i was spanked as a kid and i did not like it.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When the child is old enough to understand why you are saying "no" to something they are doing. Don't spank just because you lose your temper, but because the little one is repeatedly ignoring what you are telling them not to do. Spanking is not warranted when the child does something without you seeing it. If that makes any sense.
    courtcaton

Answer by courtcaton at 4:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes, we do spank. We tell him not to do something and he decides to do it anyway, we make him go to his room, then we go in and tell him why he is getting the spanking, make him repeat it back to us so he knows why. Then he gets the spanking and tells us again why he got it. They we tell him we love him and that we do not like having to spank him. It does work. We rarely have to spank. He has never had a hitting problem, either.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I have spanked....it's not my primary source of discipline and not the best, I found.......and what worked varied with each child as we got to know one another....it's about building a relationship with your child....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010