My son is just about to turn 9. Over the last few months he is having some problems in school.

Not academically, he just can't seem to keep his mouth shut. I have talked to him about it and he will do better for a day and then it's back to being chatty. The teacher has been emailing me about his behavior. I have taken away tv, video games and playing after school with friends until he shows some signs of improvement, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

rlhall1980

Asked by rlhall1980 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe you need to get the teacher in on punishments at school rather than just at home.

Lunch by himself (no chatting there)
    Recess inside (he can play games, read a book, etc, but nothing outside with the other kids if he was talking in class)
    Even embarrassment - his desk is placed in the VERY front of the room so he can't talk to anyone else during the work times
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem with my son last year in private Christian school. The issue was that he was bored and not being challenged enough and he's an active, NORMAL boy. I solved that problem by homeschooling this year so he's not forced to sit behind a desk for 7 hours bored out of his skull and he can get up and move around when he gets fidgety. His teacher tried moving his desk to the front of the room so he was away from everyone and although he couldn't talk to anyone, he still was fidgety and had trouble concentrating although he got straight A's. It's a natural thing for boys to be hyper and have trouble paying attention. Your son is probably bored.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I would also find out who he sits next to. I know that when my son sits next to some one that is a talker then he starts talking. Sometimes it might just be something as simple as moving his seat.

Also, try and talk to your son and see why he is talking out. I think that instead of just punishing him you need to see if there are reason why he is doing this. When my oldest got into 4th grade his teacher said "He is a little chatty" I was totally amazed because before that he never talked in school. Well I found out that he really liked his teacher and was in a class with all of his friends. I think that if you over punish him he is never going to remember why he is being punished.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would start working on when and when it is not appropriate to speak, and enforcing this at home rather than having it be just a school rule. Consistency will make it easier to remember, as well as explaining that speaking while others are speaking is disrespectful, and what you are telling that person is that what they have to say is not important. Then practice showing respect. If you were giving your child instructions to do a task they did not want to do, random chatter would not be a welcome diversion. Saying things like 'clean the room first, and then we will talk' would be a good way to be consistent with this.

Excusing the behavior with 'boredom' is a way of not holding a child accountable for showing respect. Even the most intelligent child needs to be taught that their impulses do not over ride the learning of others.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008