• In the Spotlight:

A question about feedings?

Based on the standard average, how much formula should a 1 month old eat every 2-3 hours? Also, when he hits a growth spurt, how much more should I expect him to eat? 0.5 oz? A full ounce? I know my child will be different than other children, but I'm just curious what the averages are.

lyricsoprano90

Asked by lyricsoprano90 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly..I would try 2 ounces and see how baby acts afterwards. Remember, babies have stomachs the size of their fist. So 1 or 2 ounces is really all that should fit. And they are programmed to want a little food often. We as a society seem to think they need 8 ounces and be fine for 5 hours.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my son at one month was eating 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours .....and by the time my son was 3 months he was eating 4 ounces every 2 hours
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• 2-4 ounces every 2-3 or 4 hours. For growth spurts up it 1 oz. If he doesn't finish it you can refrigerate it & feed it to him at the next feeding.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son ate 2-3 ounces at that age. My daughter drank 5 ounces. they are all different.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It depends on the child. Try a feeding with 2 to 4 ounces and you can always feed more if s/he eats it quickly.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I wont repeat whats already been said but keep in mind that babies brains don't signal they are full so they will keep drinking as long as milk is in the bottle
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010