Are the chores too much for an 11 and 12 year old (both boys)

This week the 11yo has dishes, sweep (bathroom, kitchen and laundry room), Clean mirrors (bathroom and dining room), laundry (fold and put away only his and his brothers clothes), take trash out.
The 12 yo has vacuum, patio doors (clean smudges/finger prints), sweep patio, clean counters and dining table, wipe the tub and scrub the toilet.
I do for the most part want these done on a daily basis. Is it asking too much?

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• def not askin to much i have my 5 year old take out the trash feed the animals take the laundry to the gargae dust the living room pick up his room and wipe the kitchen table......kids need chores
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I dont think that the one boy has to put both his and his brothers clothes away.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't think that some of them need to be done daily (mirrors)....his brother can fold & put away his own clothes....sweeping the patio I don't see would need it daily, IMO.
    I think chores for them at that age is perfectly fine but I think some of them can be done weekly instead of daily.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What do you do? That sounds like a lot!

My 14 yr old has to put away dishes daily and mow the lawn once a week.
    My 9 yr old feeds the lizard.
    My 6 yr old picks up pine cones so my oldest can mow the lawn.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Seems like quite a bit to do on a daily basis. Heck, most of that gets done once a week at our house. But to each his own.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It sounds fine just as long as they still have time to do homework, and get to bed on time.
    SparkleSpice

Answer by SparkleSpice at 3:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• well on a weekend not too much but i know on wkdays my kids dont have as much time with school,homework and maybe a little down time. my 10 and 11 yo bopys make their beds, put away clothes(i wash and fold), then usually get a chore in the morning like take the dog out or bring trash outside but not a set big list on school days.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Seriously, I think you are asking a lot. I gave my children each one chore (sweep or put away dishes, they had to keep their own rooms picked up). They are your children not maids.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• That does kind of seem a bit much, esp. if its daily! But if you think about it, it wouldnt really take much time to do those things.. Kind of makes me feel like I dont make mine (hes about to be 12) do enough! Lol.. He does the dishes every other day, and if there are toys scattered about he collects them and puts them back in the toy box..
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• that much every day does seem a bit much unless they are grounded for something....
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 3:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010