Are american school busses as bad as they make it look in the movies?

There's something to every chliche; The nerd, the cool kids, the bullies ... I was wondering if it's really such a traumatic childhood experience. What was it like for you?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• The movies sum it up well. Sad, huh?!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It was exactly like that for me. My oldest son didn't have problems on the bus, but he was a popular kid. My youngest who was in special ed, extremely small and nerdy had a terrible time. He was bullied horribly. The school would not do anything. I changed jobs so I could drive him myself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The thing that upsets me is how unsafe the school buses are. Many do not even have seat belts. How can that be?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• That IS sad. -I assumed it would be so over the top ... I send a big hug out to all your bullied children!
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What's pathetic is that it's such a movie cliche because it's true, and yet no one does anything about it. Why don't the teachers do something? Why are there no seatbelts when it's such a simple thing to install? Heck, even the simple belts like on amusement park rides..something to keep children in their seats and safe. Might cut down on bullying too.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes. I can remember everyone spreading out or "saving" seats when I would look for a seat, so I had to sit by myself, usually in the back. That lasted until I was well into middle school and had enough friends that someone would save a seat for me.

My oldest son had one of his baby teeth KNOCKED OUT on the school bus when one of his frenemies (I had no idea BOYS had those too!) slugged him in the face with a 30-lb backpack. Did the driver do anything? Nope.

My younger son walks his best friend home every day (2 blocks out of his way) because the poor kid is harrassed by older, bigger kids. My younger son is 10 and already over 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. When people screw with people in front of him, he fights DIRTY. I've seen him pick up a kid by shirt collar and belt loops for tackling his brother.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes, it's true. Especially High School
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010