Can a 13 month old be potty trained?

I honestly do not believe so .

I babysit 2 little boys ( brothers) one who is 26 months and one is 13 months ( I also have my 3 kids) .... Starting a few weeks ago when they would drop the boys off they would tell me how the oldest is potty trained and to make sure I took him to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes, I actually did that for awhile and he would still have accidents and I would have to use my sons pullups becuase they wouldnt send any extra underwear or pullups for him. Now he is doing better but still has atleast 2 accidents a day, still pees in the carseat and in bed at night, but of course they believe he is potty trained.

Now they think they can potty train the 13 month old ( who barely walks, cant talk and doesnt listen ), knowing him I dont think it is possible yet.

What do you think ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I doubt it.
    Brianna C.

Answer by Brianna C. at 4:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't think so and I agree that the older child isn't potty trained either. If you have to take them to the bathroom every 15 minutes and they are still having accidents, they are not trained. I think they aren't trained until they can let you know they need to use the bathroom and have very few accidents (maybe a few a week or less even).
    I've read before that parents who potty train their children too young, and do this process of taking them to the bathroom every 15 minutes, it's actually the parents who become trained and not the child.
    Not sure what you can do, but I agree with you!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 4:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• LOL..I took my son every 15 minutes the first day of training, but, by day 4...he was trained and not having accidents.

You CAN use EC on even newborns, but, in this case...I don't think either are or will be "trained" anytime soon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No. And I would have told them to bring extra pullups/undies for the older child.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No. And I also would ask for pull ups.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No. I think parents are trained...to sit the kid on the potty every 15 minutes and the kid is clueless at that age.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is possible....my grandmother had all her children potty-trained by 15 months...don't know how she did it, but it's true...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• No, I seriously doubt it.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 8:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't think they know the difference between trained and in training lol. Ive heard of child that young doing it but sounds like in this case good luck on the parents parts.

What do they say when you tell them he is having accidents??
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 11:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Deosnt sound likethat is a child ready for potty training at all.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 3:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2010