Do u think its wrong that dinners charge ppl for an extra plate?

I have found out from reading menus that some dinners charge as much as 2 dollars if u ask for an extra plate. What about for toddlers, that cant eat a whole meal, y would u wate the money for one. I will be packing a plate and spoon in the diaper bag for when lo can eat reagular food.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• good idea. I use to get charged. I have noticed they do not anymore.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• wow what places do that? most let kids 3 and under eat free and some even let 11 and under eat free with the purchase of an adult meal but then it's crazy they want to charge adult price for 12 and up
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It is a business and they are there to make money. I used to waitress and truthfully I hated when people wanted to split meals because it affected my tip. Most resaurants offer a kids menu that is smaller and if they don't then the restaurant isn't really a resaurant for kids. If you don't want to pay what the restaurant policy states then don't eat at that restaurant but don't pack your own plate!
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son is under 1 and he is not going to eat a whole kids meal, there for we share with him. We have always gave tips according to the amount of ppl there not acording to the bill. When my now 8 yr old niece was younger we did the same with her cuz she wanted what everyone else wanted. Im not gonna leave my son at a babysitters when we go out as a family; thats just wrong. We asked for some mashed potatoes for him at the last resturant we went to and they charged us 3 dollars for a little bit of mased potatoes, u can bet i will be bring my own plate for him and i will be shareing my food with him.
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Why shouldn't they? They're paying the labor of everyone involved in splitting and serving your half-meals plus the water and detergent to wash your extra dirty plate after you split the meal.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you are going out as a family then it should be to family restaurants or ones that don't charge for extra plates. Just because you don't like there policy you are going to go there anyway and bring your own plate? I would be embarrassed
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• geminilove- they arnt spliting our meal, we do it our selfs
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I haven't had this experience so far, but I would like to know what restaurants do this, so I can avoid them. I usually just split a meal with my son, and most of our restaurants bring us a plate without a problem. I would definitely pack a plate and spoon if that was happening though. I usually pack one of his spoons anyway. I mean it's one thing if you're ordering a side dish for them, but just a plate--that's not right. IMO
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I've been to places that charged around $7 for a plate. I think it's to discourage you from sharing because they want you to spend more money. I don't really think it's right.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I work at a place that charges an extra plate fee. We would never charge if your sharing with children. The reason the owner even does that at our place is because on our menu we have a full slab of ribs and also 1/2 slab of ribs so what people do is order the one dinner to save money instead of ordering the two 1/2 slabs. I never charge the guests this fee because it causes more problems then its worth! The ONLY time I charge it is when two guests order a regular salad to be divided equally onto two seperate plates, even then I tell them if I bring them a plate they will not get charged but if the kitchen splits it for them I have to because they will not split it unless I do.

I think its horrible if they charge if your sharing with your kids and if i knew of a place that did that they would not get my business! My kids do not each much either (for now, lol).
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010