Kind of a sad question, but I need answers!

How often does GD result in stillbirth? I am 37 weeks, have twice a week NSTs, and have managed my blood sugar through diet. However, I see them starting to creep up, not "high" but higher than my norm. I see the doctor again on Monday. That's four whole days away - what if they get terrible in these four days? I'm so worried something is going to happen to the baby! :( I was diagnosed at 29/30 weeks, so I've been good so far .. any ideas? Thanks .. sorry for the grim question!

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 1:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Im not knowledgable about GD but I can't imagine that if the docs were worried about such an awful thing, they would try to keep a much closer eye on you. A good friend of mine had GD and went to the docs office for NST's like every other day. She was extremly over weight, and baby was born healthy!!! Good luck, and try not to worry so. :O)
    luhvmykids

Answer by luhvmykids at 1:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• idk but you will be in my prayers girl!! stay strong!
    MOMSART

Answer by MOMSART at 1:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• whats GD, and NST? sorry im a bit young and not sure what a lot of terms mean.. =[
    but from what you're saying in here, im sorry and i wish i knew how to answer it
    Anonymous

• NST = non-stress test
    GD = Gestational Diabetes
    NMRx

Answer by NMRx at 1:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• oh sweetie, GD is really common (sadly) and your doctor will keep a close eye on you. A much higher risk is the stress on your body such as kidneys, high blood pressure, etc. If you are that concerned, they can even refer you to a specialist to help you keep it under control. Speak to your doctor about your concerns, call them now and let them know you are worried! Hugs
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I can't tell you how common it is... but, I can tell you that it does happen.

It happened to me 5 years ago. I was seeing a HROB for GD, but I didn't know a lot about it and didn't know that I should have been on insulin and had NSTs. I had an u/s at 35 wks and he told me that all was well... at 36 weeks our dd Kahlan died from GD that was not controlled properly.
    With my recent pregnancy, my HROB ( new one) stalked me! LOL They were great and monitored me very heavily and put me on insulin. I did end up delivering almost 6 weeks early due to the GD, and Pre-Eclampsia developing. Our daughter Karli was born 34 weeks 3 days and was 4 lbs 8 oz. She spent 3 weeks one day in the NICU. She will be 13 weeks on Monday and is doing well.
    I hope that this helps.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 2:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008