how can i get my dd to ace her spelling test's?

we sit down every day during the week and go over her spelling words for the week starting with monday when she gets her lists and the tests are friday...along with going over them everyday i have her write them out 5 times each also and i thought that would help...she knows these words but she is not spelling them right when it's test time...is there any idea's out here ? (she's in 3rd grade)

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher here:

My best advice would be to add movement to her learning, for some kids the movement along with the learning seem to stick better.

Maybe a trampoline...a letter with every bounce. Or bouncing a ball back and forth with you....each time she catches the ball she says another letter...

For some kids this really works :) Good luck :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I got nothing, other than keep doing what you're doing. My daughter is 7 (2nd grade) and is having somewhat the same problems. It takes her a looooong time to catch onto some things. Maybe ask her to spell them out loud for you as well?
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Maybe make it fun for her? I don't really know. I was always good at spelling (math on the other hand...) so I didn't have to struggle too much. But maybe she feels like it's too much of a chore and it's inhibiting her? If you can turn it into a game, it might help.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• When you have her spell them are you having her do it verbally or in writing? Quiz her with a written test Wednesday and Thursday night.

On Tuesday have her write them in sentences and Monday write them five times each.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think what you are doing is good enough.
    with my kids (2nd & 4th) grade they study then I give them a pretend test and which ever ones they miss I get them to go back and study or write 3 X's and for every 100 they make I give them $ 1.00 or take them to the dollarstore. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Make it fun for her. Spell the words out in playdough, mine love that.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• A way I get my dd to know words is to write each one down, 2 or 4 times(myself) but spell the word correctly only ONCE, and she has to find the correct spelling out of the 4 I wrote. I also have her say them verbally, and write it down, try give her little hints, like separate the word into 2 smaller words, rhyming with other words. Good luck!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Have your daughter do the following:

1. Look at the word.

2. Hide the correct spelling.

3. Write the word.

Have her repeat that until she can write the word correctly from memory twice. Move on to the next word. Have a practice spelling test everyday and focus on the words that your daughter finds difficult. Good luck!            www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 10:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2010

• When I was in school we had to write each word 10x's each every night. My mom would also quiz us verbally before bed each night as well as my sister and I would quiz each other over breakfast or on our way to school. My mom expected and accepted nothing less than 100 on almost anything and everything until we hit high school.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• she writes them for me and we go over them out loud and she has to spell them to me then she reads them off the paper to me after i quiz her without looking...so idk ..maybe making it funner would help thow...thanks ladies you all have been help so far!!
    gracelessstar21

Comment by gracelessstar21 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010