how to make a dora costume?

i am helping a friend with his daughter for halloween this year..which is no big deal except she wants to be dora and now my daughter would also like to be dora...my dh and i went out to look for this costume and we found some but they are like 20.00 each..i am not wanting to spend 40.00 for a halloween costume that is only going to be worn one time..so any one have a idea on how i can make my own or at least buy something cheaper to do this for the girls?

gracelessstar21

Asked by gracelessstar21 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• Here are great tips for making a dora costume: http://www.ehow.com/how_2181944_dora-explorer-costume.html

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• SO easy....just go to the thrift store and find a shirt/shorts in the right colors. (I think pink/orange) and buy a can of spray hair color/wigs. Style the girls hair short with bobby pins if it is long. (or you could buy wigs but those run expensive too. Target has some cheap ones right now though, you could even buy longer wigs and cut them)
    Then a few pieces of purple felt (.29 cents each at Joanns) and make her a backpack with a hot glue gun. Draw a face on it and make sure you put here in longer socks with her tennis shoes. :)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Party City has a Dora face mask and then you need a hot pink shirt and orange shorts. No need to buy the packaged costume!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• easy...orange shorts, pink shirt...that's what we were going to do until I found one w/ a coupon a couple months back...Target even has black wigs for $5....that's what we're using.

Then just tape eyes & a mouth on her back pack
    KatieBellsMom

Answer by KatieBellsMom at 4:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Great ideas above. My daughter is going to be Dora too, we got her's from the toy aisle, but it was around $20 for the dress and shoes. Good Morning America had some home costume idea this morning and you can also check with familyfun.com.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 5:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010