What repairs does your house need?

Yeah, feeling the frustration right now. Our house appraised at $80k when we bought it 2 years ago, now thanks to the economy, it appraises for $56k, which considering the shape it's in, is probably what it should have appraised for in the first place. I think we got ripped.

Anyway, roof needs to be repaired. It leaks in at least 2 places whenever there is a storm. Bathroom floor needs to be ripped out and replaced. Toilet in same bathroom needs to be sealed (it's now leaking). Kitchen cabinets need to be fix (I took all the doors off because a couple of them fell off their hinges and I wasn't about to let one fall off and hit my son), door to one room needs to be fixed (it's a pocket door, not such an easy fix). And our backyard... think that needs to be completely dug up in order to get rid of all the weeds.

DH says that our next house he wants to get a fixer upper. I think THIS house is enough of a fixer upper for me!

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• my master bath needs gutted and just redone, the shower stall just will not come clean anymore. The main bathroom, I need a new shower surround. I need new sliding glass doors off the patio, they are original to the house and I spend all winter wiping up condensation from the floor. I need new flooring in the kitchen, who ever laid the laminate did not do it correctly. Outside of house needs painted. I think that is it for now. But I bet I will be able to think of something tomorrow :)

Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• This is funny to me because I am listening to our shower dripping right now.
    lyricsoprano90

Answer by lyricsoprano90 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Need new carpet in the office but that can wait until spring next year. Other than regular maintenance nothing else for now.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Have you guys looked into fixing up your home? Seriously I mean, not just a "Yea one day we should". I don't know when the deadline is, but there's a tax credit for doing certain repairs on the home that make it more energy efficient. LIKE redoing your roof.

The dumbasses that put on our roof used staples instead of roofing nails, so there's a few spots where the shingles are lifting. So that needs to be done. We also need to insulate the roof line and some other parts of the home. We need to continue the heating ducts into the additions of the home. Like the back "attic" space and the laundry room. All of the flooring needs to be gutted, but not because it's bad, just because it's ugly to me. Ha! The stairways are narrow and steep, and the back "attic" one hits a slope in the cieling, so those need to be torn out and redone. There's not many "repairs" I guess, more like remodling.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• we need windows though out the house, flooring in the kitchen, needs lots of paint and a few screws here and there .. oh and the roof leaks in the bathroom during a storm.....
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 5:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Oh yeah, I forgot our bathtub faucet does that too.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The worst leak is right over our TV set, etc. I'm afraid one of these days the rain is going to come crashing down and that'll be the end of that.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• JazzMraz: Yes, those are all things that need to be done, but we need money first. We are broke since I'm the only one working. hopefully next year though.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010