Having a hard time getting 13 month old off the bottle.

My daughter is 13 months now. I've switched to whole milk and the only way she will drink it is warm and in a bottle. She drinks water fine out of a sippy cup. I've tried the sippy cups with the longer nipple more like a bottle and she still won't drink it. She will drink cold milk a little bit out of this dora straw cup she has. So in the morning and at night I'm giving her a bottle with warm milk in it. How did you get your child to give up their bottle? Am I just pushing her to early?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep offering the sippy cups and be persistent about it.
    My nephews are 2 years old, and because their mother wasn't really persistent about this issue.. They were screaming for bottles of warm milk every night.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If I offer the sippy and she won't drink it, do I give her a bottle? A couple days I've gone without if she won't drink from the sippy, but I feel bad because she needs that milk for her nutrition and vitamins.
    moviemom22

Comment by moviemom22 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Thats why the policy in my house is ALL bottles go in the trash on the 1st birthday as long as you still have bottles around to grab she will want that but if all the bottles are gone she will eventually get the point and take the cup
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I had a hard time too and I was a maternity/nursery nurse. My son finally had his last bottle at about 15 months. I kept replacing one bottle for the cup at a time for a week and I did "throw away" the bottles....I packed them up for the next one and ended up giving them away. I told myself he was a big boy. Notice, I said, told myself, not him so much. He already thought he was hot stuff by then. little devil

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• So if I just get rid of the bottles and she won't drink out of a sippy cup for several days, than what? I don't think she really cares about drinking milk, so she won't really get the point. She just won't drink milk when I put it in there. Also, then she is not getting the Vitamin D she needs. I don't know. I guess I will just try it for a few days and see. Thanks.
    moviemom22

Comment by moviemom22 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Throw out the bottles. Give her only one choice, the sippy cup. Yes, she'll throw a fit, yes she'll beg for the bottle, but she'll never wean if you keep offering her the bottle. Once she's thirsty enough she'll take the sippy cup. With my son I eventually laid him down with his sippy and he gave in. It was a piece of cake from there..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Throw out the bottles and give her only the sippy cup. If she has to have warm milk, warm it up and put it in the sippy cup.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son got one before bed up until his second birthday.. he loved them and I had no issue giving him a little warm milk in a soothing fashion for him... especially since he would have still been nursing till that time if we had been able to breast feed. How I got him off the bottle.. well we went on a 4 day vacation and I forgot to bring one and when we got home he asked for a bottle and I flat out told him "no more bottles" and he rolled over and sucked his thumb and passed out... no bottles since.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I just threw my son's bottles away. Out of sight, out of mind. That worked for me. I am not sure if it would work for everyone. He wasn't on the bottle that long and I never did a passifier either...so when I threw them away, he didn't even act like he missed them.
    sailorgirl12

Answer by sailorgirl12 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Why are you weaning so early? I wouldn't even consider taking the bottle before age 2. My ds takes 10 oz heated bottle at bedtime and when he wakes up at approx 6 am. All during the day he has a sippy cup.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010