How long do beef tips have to cook?

Im making beef stew. Ive never cooked beef tips or a roast. So im just wandering hos long i have to cook it for?

williams81209

Asked by williams81209 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you are putting them in a stew, brown them first and then add them to the stew. I make all my stews in the crockpot and they cook for about 4 hours.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• well i dont know if i would call it a stew more like beef vegetable soup.
    williams81209

Comment by williams81209 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I dredge my tips in flour first (just put a cup of flour in a plastic bag, add some salt and pepper, toss the tips in and shake to coat) then brown them in my soup pot in about a tablespoon of oil. The flour gives the meat a little crust AND thickens the stew. After they're browned I add my veggies then my stock or water and seasonings.

Bring it to a boil and simmer it a couple of hours over REALLY low heat with a lid on. Test the veggies and meat for cooked and tenderness, season more if needed. If it needs thickened take the lid off and boil it gently to reduce the broth into a gravy-like thickness, or you can thicken with corn starch (2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup water, stir in to soup/stew and boil while stirring til thickened).
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010