What do YOU do to survive the holidays with the in laws?

I realize that not every one has family gatherings with their in laws. I also realize that some families have a nice time and every one is thankful and merry. This question is not directed at you! For those of you who, like me, have hectic holidays with the in laws, what thing(s) are a must do for you to keep calm, keep the peace, not pull your hair out? :)

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• I don't go. My DH takes the kids to his sisters for holidays, I stay home. Since I don't celebrate the holidays (I have my own) I just let them do that stuff without me and completely avoid the conflict...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• hold my breath til i cant anymore then take a short walk outside. lets jsut say me and mil dont get along and thats the only way ive found to keep the peice because she is all about it being "her way or the highway" no one else or thier oppinions matter
    Charisma88

Answer by Charisma88 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We have both sides come to our house. DH and I always joke "they're coming at 6, drinking starts at noon." I finally got fed up after last year with last minute cancellations and ungrateful house guests that I am not doing anything this year. A dear friend has invited us for Thanksgiving and we're going there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I try to avoid their parties period last thanksgiving (sil is a bad bad cook) boiled the turkey imagine try gagging that down chewy skin and overcooked meat bluck! It damn near ruined turkey for me..Then she puts weird things in her pumpkin pie they ar just nasty and dried out her mashed potatoes are clumpy and runny and her rolls could knock someone out it's altogether grosss as it can be!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I bring wine....lots and lots of wine.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well, we make our own dinner at home when we go to my MIL's house because she really can't cook anymore (over cooked turkey, bacon grease gravy, and everything has a ton of salt in it). If hubby plans on staying for the whole day we will take separate vehicles so the girls and I can leave early. I also keep captain morgan under the sink for when she comes to visit and complains about anything and everything and tries to tell me how I do all things wrong.  If she invites herself for a holiday I also try to make sure I invite at least some of my family so that I have solace.  The way I get through it all is to keep reminding myself that she's the only parent hubby has left (and secretly curse the fact that the good parent went first).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Hide under a rock...J/K! I love my in-laws and it doesn't bother me to visit them; however, it's stressful sometimes trying to visit just everyone at the holidays because everyone wants to see us and we have 4 different houses to go to because we both have divorced parents.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The only real problems I have when we have in-law gatherings is the bad food, snotty neice & nephew, and making sure no one steals anything from us ....

me and the kids eat before we go, I dont take my purse, and grin and bare it until we get home.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• BWAHAHAHA! Sorry, 2lilbumblebees, I know that sucks, but that made me laugh out loud!
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Alot of teeth gritting and biting my tongue. Last year was the worst because my MIL nitpicked at our son for every little thing and it got on our nerves. We had spent Halloween weekend, 4 days for Thanksgiving and 4 days for Christmas. We definitely won't be spending that long there this year. I have to work the day after Thanksgiving, so that gets us out of having to spend the entire weekend there. Christmas, don't know yet.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010