Marijuana and pregnancy

In the state I live in marijuana is legal for medical purposes. Marijuana is great for nausea thats one reason they prescribe it. That being said there is very little research in the U.S. regarding Marijuana and pregnant women, other countries have done studies and found very little negative effects to the fetus, matter a fact there has been some positive studies. What does everybody think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There is a female dr who started researching mothers in jamaica back in the 80s who smoked while preggo then compared the babies of women aho smoked and who didnt at birth and a few more times up til they started school and the study showed that the babies of the marijuana smokers were smarter, more alert, less fussy and more if you want to look it up the dr who did the study is Dr. melanie Dreher Good luck :)
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would NEVER smoke weed while pregnant.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• While I didn't smoke while I was pregnant, I have also heard very few actual side effects on the baby. I actually even knew people who's doctors said it was fine to smoke while pregnant. It does seem wrong, but I'm not sure if it's really been proven that it IS wrong.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Never have, never will, esp while preg. Nausea or not.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 5:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it's completely brainless and stupid to risk it.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Do you wanna know cuz your knocked up and trying to decide wether or not to light up that bliz? LOL DONT do it!
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I would never smoke it pregnant or not ....

I am sure there are alot of women who do it while pregnant claiming it is for the nausea.... but the thing is why even take the risk ? Millions of women are able to deal with pregnancy and nausea without it ....

Honestly if I ever seen a mom ( pregnant or not ) smoke it I would automatically assume she is a bad mom who doesn't care about her children .
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WorIM0RhA - This is Dr. Dreher discussing study of 60 babies. Honestly, that's a pretty small sample to deem something conclusively researched. However, like you say, there is not really a connection between marijuana use (especially when it is not smoked - eg. marijuana butter) and birth defects. Pharmaceutical anti-nauseants are probably at least as risky, if not more so. My advice to you would be to talk to a doctor or other medical professional and see what they think about the subject.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 5:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I avoid EVERYTHING while pregnant unless I absolutely have to for some reason.

There are so many drugs that Dr's ok for time periods only to come back 20 years later and realize they cause...._______fill in the blank...

I dont wanna be the one to figure out what goes in the blank. I will just deal with the sickness, women have for 1.000's of years!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think smoking marijuana while pregnant is selfish, because why your nausea's? If you did not want to deal with the pregnancy symptoms than do not get pregnant, don't be so selfish, please. I would never do it even if I was not pregnant personally, that crap kills brain cells, it is a proven fact.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 7:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2010