So how does that work?

When the girl in Mississippi won her case against the high school that discriminated against her, the school had discriminated against more than just her. They also discriminated against several autistic and special needs students. For those people who are so upset that the school lost, does that mean you approve of the discrimination against autistic teens, or just that you hate homosexuality so much you are willing to tolerate discrimination against autistic teens to see it blocked? It really confuses me considering there are several CMers who have been very outspoken against the girl who promote autism awareness in their profiles or pictures.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I missed that story. Got a link?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It's in another question below somewhere, too. Here's the latest story on it: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20020765-504083.html

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm lost...
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I don't see anything about any autistic kids

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I know just which story you are talking about. They had canceled the real prom, only to have the parents throw another one, and they sent (I think her name is Candice) to a prom that only had a couple of special needs kids invited, while everyone else went somewhere else...it was totally effing appalling.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I hadn't heard anything about the special needs kids. Did any of their parents sue? If not, they should have! I only saw about the girl on the news.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Discrimination is alive and well, here in the United States of America.

Let's celebrate on November 2nd.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Raine, a separate prom was held for the gay and special needs students, a bait and switch. The cool kids and their parents did not want the undesirables marring their perfect experience, and the school agreed with it.

If I were the parent of a special needs student, I would be happy that action has now been taken; precedence set.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• ok, jsben, not very cool. I'm conservative, I think this is appalling...Just because I don't want to fund the save the Marsh Mice fund and the studies of drunken male penis habits doesn't mean I'm a bigot.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I didn't call anyone a bigot. I just say, look at the candidates, look at the issues that are up for votes, and vote accordingly.

There are Conservative candidates who are fiscally conservative, but aren't outspoken about how they want to "protect traditional marriage" (double-speak for, "I don't approve of the 'gay lifestyle' and will do my best to keep gays and lesbians from having the same rights as you and me-- [in super-secret terminology, I believe in bigotry]"). 

Really, as long as we prevent all citizens from having equal rights, this sort of bigotry will be accepted.  As long as we don't speak out against kids being bullied and excluded because of their sexual orientation, or because they have special needs, it will continue. 

We can change that. But we have to look at the big picture as well as the "small issues".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010