Year round schools?

This school year about 5 of the schools around here have switched to the year round schedual where they go for 9 weeks and get 2 weeks off go for 9 more weeks get 2 more weeks off so on and so on... How do you feel about this i think its as bad as uniforms.... Don't bash me thats my opinion and you are entitled to yours :)

405mom

Asked by 405mom at 6:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't like it either. Its been suggested for our county but we are a farming community and farmers rely on the kids to be able to work during summer break. So its always been voted down.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I actually went through something similar in Elementary, the on and off school year. I actually think it's not bad. I home school my daughter and I see first hand how she forgets a lot throughout summertime, if I don't have her do some stuff here and there. I think it's actually pretty cool to have a few more small breaks in between, IMO. Now the uniforms, I agree...bad idea!
    LIFO

Answer by LIFO at 6:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• We actually do this at the private school where I work. I actually like it. The kids benefit way more then by having that huge break. You don't have to spend as much time 'reviewing' in the beginning of the school year.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I like the idea. Wish my kids would have went to a school like that.

Answer by louise2 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I like the idea. They learn more and they still get breaks. They do this in England. Plus it saves money for moms who have to have daycare
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i think i like the idea too. my oldest is in the first grade and i have been astounded and saddened that there is 8 weeks of review. what a waste!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Well around here some of the schools have a schedule that gives 4 weeks off in the summer, but the rest of the time it is 2 week breaks. I personally like the idea since there is less time for the kids to forget what they learned the previous year. I can see in faring communities and what not why the idea would not be supported.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I guess im just old fashioned in thinking my kids should have a summer break like i did growing up but eh thats just me but personally if my kids school was one of the year round ones i would have to take them out of that school and put them in a normal school....
    405mom

Comment by 405mom (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The biggest problem I have with year round school is that kids don't get enough fresh air, sunshine, outdoor time, and family time during the school year....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think it is a GRAND idea! Why not? What exactly are we gaining as a nation from 3 month breaks? most schools in the world have a type of year round school and it totally makes sense. You never actually stop learning. You have the same amount of time off in the end but in smaller doses. Your child will retain their knowledge much longer with these shorter breaks and teachers wont have to spent the entire first quarter repeating what they did last year.
    Plus it would make taking vacations easier since the time is spread out through out the year. Imagine a time when there is no winter/spring/ or summer break vacation rush? And think about Day Care! Would it be easier to find day care for 2 weeks or 3 months? Would it be cheaper?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010