ok, here's a good one...

Did you know that there's an entire debate on whether or not Megan's law is Constitutional? Do you think it is, and why or why not?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 6:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see why people challenge it - it's a good idea with bad implementation. If sex offenders are dangerous enough to require lifetime monitoring, they shouldn't be let out in the first place. Enforcement is lax and underfunded, in cases where it really is a one time thing (vindictive parent presses charges against their daughter's 17 year old boyfriend or drunk college kid arrested for public urination), those people are branded for life. Before they passed it, they should've cleaned it up to better delineate what qualifies and what doesn't, and they should've included real punishment for violating it. If it's ever turned over, it will be due to the lack of foresight of the people who wrote it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think the scope of the law is too broad. Everyone lumped into the sex offender category really does not deserve the same punishment as far as I'm concerned. A man relieving himself on the side of a dirt road is NOT the same as a child molester. I agree with NotPanicking, it will be the lawmakers' fault if it is overturned.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree with NP as well. My stepson was arrested and charged as a sexual offender when he was in college at IU. He pee'd in a bush by the LOCKED bathrooms his freshman year, on the way back from a basketball game. It cost a small fortune to get it dropped.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• That is an interesting question. I'd have to agree with NP and sm, here. The law is too broad. I remember checking out the registered sex offenders list in my area, and was surprised at who was on the list--the boy who, at seventeen years of age, had sex with his fifteen-year old girlfriend, for example. It seems extreme. Half of my high school would have been on that list, were parents pressing charges against their daughters' boyfriends at that time. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I DO think the scope is too broad.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2010