Imature Tear Duct, -Im worried. Anyone experiance this with their baby.

My daughter is 5 days old, and we found out the other day that she has an imature tear duct, because her eye all of the sudden started to leak yellow liquid, and seal shut.
The Dr. gave us some drops. But Im still worried about her eye. I dont want it to affect her eye, and the vision.
Has anyone had this with there baby, the Dr. said it is common. Did the drops help. how is their vision now.

ness_033

Asked by ness_033 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, my middle son had this. We put drops in his eyes until he was about 9 months old, then the doctor did a procedure to open up the tear duct, I can't remember what he called it. After that my son never had another problem. It didn't affect his vision in any way, it was kind of goopy until they did the procedure, but no long term affects. (OH, he's 21 now, and has perfect vision.)

Relax momma (I know that's not easy!) she'll be fine. Congratulations on your new baby!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son had that. He did outgrow it, I had to "massage his tear duct", I'm not sure if they still recommend that. A friend's son had that procedure p.p. spoke about. My son's vision is perfect. And his eyes are beautiful. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• i had two children with this, and i massaged the tear duct as well. very easy, non invasive...no drops no surgery.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Had the same issue with 2 of my 3. No drops, just used warm water and a cotton ball to clean off the goop, and massaged the duct. It went away on its own, it is very common.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My oldest had this issue and our doc suggested breastmilk in the eye since I was nursing instead of the drops so you may want to consider that if you are nursing. They also suggested that I take a warm baby wash cloth a couple times a day and massage both his tear ducts (he had issues with both sides). Our doc also said that until he was about 2-3 he would be more prone to infections like pink eye etc. He is 5 years old now and has absolutely no vision problems and we only had pink eye a couple times when younger and they were all cleared with breastmilk in the eye. Our doc did tell us about a surgery, but to wait it out a few months before doing it since his didn't seem to be too bad. We ended up not needing the surgery and only needing to do the drops and massage for abut 2 months or so.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My 4 year old niece had this. She had minor surgery when she was around 8 months and it never bothered her again.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My son's tear duct was considered clogged and had to be opened after he turned a year old. He was fine, but did have the yellowish discharge throughout the first year. It's fine, his vision is fine in that eye. However, if you notice a crossing or turning in of one of the eyes or a jiggle of the eye, then get to an experienced children's eye Dr. They may want to start patching.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My 3 month old has clogged tear ducts.  We just keep his eyes as clean as possible.  My 8yo daughter had them, too, and had the constant gunky eyes until she had surgery at 18 months.  Her eyes are fine now.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• My daughters tear duct did that too. Just get a luke warm washcloth and massage the corners of her eyes, that will get her tear ducts working back to normal. you dont want to use to many eye drops, as young as they are they can end up ruining the retina (word from the ped)
    Veronica-Lynn

Answer by Veronica-Lynn at 7:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010