Angry child

My child is 4.5 years old and that's my only defense.
Today my MIL informed me that my son made his great grand mother cry because he yelled at her. I rolled my eyes and said that she shouldn't take it so personally. He yells at me every single day, he yells at my mother and apparently he yells at my husband's grandmother. He just has moods, right? Sometimes I wonder why little things like turning up the music, giving him the wrong cup, or not saying the right things to him set him off. What should we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First, consider other people's feelings. Since you heard that G GMa cried, something's wrong, right? What do you think is going to happen if he yells at the teacher in kindergarten? Or at the crossing guard, or at the lady in the doctor's office?
    Does anyone yell at Him??? If so, get whoever yells to stop it, stop modelling that it's acceptable.
    Next, talk to him and explain that you aren't going to tolerate that behavior anymore. Explain about peoples' feelings. Explain that if you are angry there are better outlets to express it, including saying "I'm angry" or going into his room and punching his pillow.
    Then you are going to have to figure out what the consequences of the yelling will be. Are you going to take away a toy? Put him in time out/ "the naughty chair", smack him? . You will have to come up with something that you can follow through with. Good luck and congrats on taking positive steps.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• oh no no no my kids have NEVER been disrespectful and disobedient you say he yells at everyone like you are ok with that i tell you what my 1st born was the only one to even try saying NO to me and by the end of the week NO was no longer in her vocabulary my sons never went thru the "no" stage and none of my kids have thrown temper tantrums or anything even close to one im not bashing you but discipline and respect is something that should be started as soon as the child is walking and getting into things i think thats y i never had those kind of problems with my kids... some parents wait til later to start but later may be too late....
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• He is being very disrespectful. Do you want him to grow up and yell at his wife and daughters? I would talk to him and ground him if he doesn't stop.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• my 4 y/o yelled at me once, i smacked her in the mouth and told her to try that again...never screamed at me again. i know ppl on here will call me the worst mom ever, but that's what my mom did when i yelled at her and it worked for me too lol GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I agree with kjrn79. It's not acceptable that he yells, but it's not abnormal. Don't let other people who have children that never misbehaved make you feel bad about it. My daughter is the same age, and she yells at me. We teach her proper behavior and to be polite, but when she is tired and frustrated, she has a difficult time articulating and she yells. It happens to a lot of people, including adults. I talk to her and tell her she is not allowed to behave that way and will not get anything from me as long as she is treating me like that. I put her in time out so she calms down and I talk to her about her behavior. Most of the time, she really just needs hugs and understanding because she can't get her frustration out any other way. She will apologize once she has calmed down. I think the main thing is to teach your child what is acceptable and not and to be consistent with punishment and/or rewards.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• this is where i firmly believe you need to bust his butt, and take everything outof his room except bedding, and let him earn his things back by not doing the bad behavior and each day e can earn 1 thing bck, and before you know it i is a month,, he hasnt done it, and he ahs all his things!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2010