Why do people depend on the govt to do charity work instead of helping out?

It seems that in this society that too many people have this attitude of they don't have to help the poor because "the government will take care of them" What happened to personal responsiblity in this country? Why don't people get out there and work in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, prisons, nursing homes etc instead of depending on the govt to do it? I work with animal shelters, take books out to the prisons (I have a friend that works as a guard there) donate food. Should the govt have to take care of it or should we be reponsible people and help out too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I sleep nights knowing I have done more than my fair share--in giving of my money, time, skills and material goods to someone in need. But then again, I'm one of those "mean girl conservatives."

*sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I help out all the time. One of my favorite charities is our local pregnancy help center. I help every year with the world's biggest baby shower for it, I give to other charities and help as often as I can. Our church is always organizing some community event to help others, and I help everytime. The way our government has been for years, and the way it's gone down in the last 18 months in particular, I have no delusions that the Govt. going to help anyone but themselves. If we don't help our fellow man, no one will.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What makes you think we aren't already doing this? The dry cleaners I own is doing all the Coats for Kids..more than $10,000 worth of dry cleaning so far..for free. We also give to the local food bank along with numerous other charities. A few times a year we help a local church with their free meals.

IMO, "personal responsibility" starts with yourself. We would have less need for charity altogether if more people took responsilbility for themselves. This would leave more for those that truly need it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I think we as a people should be responsible, but somewhere, decades ago, the government decided to take over and that's the way it's been ever since.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Sometimes giving is the best part. I wish at times I could give more help to some that I can't help. God sees our hearts and determines our giving as we are able to do so. Churches are usually set up to form gifts, and food donations, and visits that are getting the message what LOVE is. Clothing and used coats are good things to give when a church or school sets up dates for such events.I don't believe that it's a competition, and when it's time, we are right to give just as we see it's appropriate.
    Anonymous

• There are all types of food drives, clothing drives, etc. thru the schools & other organizations that we donate to. We also donate money to some of these charities. When I see "we" , I not only mean me or my family personally, I also mean "we" as a nation. Our country's kind citizens give millions if not billions of dollars to charities each year. Not everyone has the luxury to donate their time. It would be nice if there was no longer a need for WIC, welfare, medicaid, social security, etc. but now that those programs exist b/c of the desperate need for them, how do you eliminate them? You can't.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• The GOVERNMENT happened to people's sense of charity.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I volunteer in soup kitchens donate food to the food pantry and volunteer at the animal shelter. I enjoy helping out in my community, but I also see how we pay taxes for programs that the government provides so every tax payer is helping out in a way.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Good Question I will never forget as a single working mom going to an elder at my church and asking for help to by food , just til my next check . His reply We encourage folks in you position to apply for assistance from the state
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• It started back when the government was supposed to by by the people, of the people, and for the people. The welfare system was started to assist those genuinely in need, but as with pretty much anything left in the governments hands, it has been screwed up beyond all reason. Unfortunately, we have been raised to believe that the gov't is actually doing the job - (they aren't), and we are therefore left to discern for ourselves the better causes for helping those who truly need help. As a result of the gov'ts failure and with the help of the media, we tend to see anyone who needs benefits as being irresponsible, and painting with that broad of a brush leaves a lot of people just twisting in the wind - and not a lot of people who are willing to help. This is perhaps what you see - but as previous posters state -look closer. You see a lot of quieter people helping people - just not a lot of press for it - bad news sells better
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2010