Have you heard about the Scott sisters?

Well they are two black sisters Gladys and Jamie Scott who have maintained their innocence. They have spent nearly 15 years in prison for a crime they did not commit that netted the sum of 11 dollars.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-papa/the-scott-sisters-two-lif_b_169468.html

What can be done cases such as this? Is this blantant racism?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard that...guilty or not..the theft was for I believe $11 ? That is extremely excessive. I hope they are freed you have got to be kidding me..pedophiles get less time!
    pisces72

Answer by pisces72 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• How can these women be INNOCENT, when they PLANNED a crime that...

1. Occurred when they were just 19 and 20 years old--and MOTHERS at the time?!
    2. Involved the armed robbery of two men,
    3. Involved collaboration and presumed coercion with 3 (underage?) teenagers.
    4. Physical assault with a deadly weapon as the teens struck the victims in the head with a shotgun?!

If these women "got lucky" and got say, $1000, would the punishment be more acceptable?! What if being struck in the head by the shotgun lead to a brain hemorrhage and resulted in the death of one or both of the victims?!

Just because they didn't net much money and no one was severely injured, doesn't make the crime any less "innocent!" I can guarantee at their ages, if they got away with this crime, and were given a "slap on the wrist" they would have surely ended up in prison on future crimes!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• They may very well be innocent, but,and I'm sure you know this, as well, prisons are literally JAMMED with "innocent" people, who never did anything to anyone, and are all "victims of racism" of some sort. If they are innocent, I pray they will be freed.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yea that sounds extreme! Our justice system is really screwed up! it needs an overhaul.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

This is a list of death row inmates found innocent by DNA testing. Scroll down and look at the number of whites who were wrongfully convicted. Is that racism too? I don't need to read your article from the puffington post. Labeling it racism was enough slant for me.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• What basis do you have to assert your accusation of racism? Is it simply because the victims in this situation are black? Is that not, in itself, racist? There are dozens of wrongly convicted white people, Latinos, and every other race imaginable, too, does race have something to do with that?

as all the evidence would indicate that they were wrongly convicted, I hope they are freed. But people need to stop yelling racist right away. Overusing the term takes away the true horror of when it actually occurs.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Lori, did you use a different source?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Put another way....

If I aimed my shotgun at you (not in self defense), fired, and missed, would I too, be considered "innocent," because no one got hurt?! Doubtful. And because my INTENT was to do you harm, one could say it was attempted murder, and I would have to deal with the penalties!

It's part and parcel of living in a civilized society! It is NOT acceptable for people to commit a violent crime for "kicks!!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Yes but the people that said that the sisters were there has since recanted...
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2010