What should I expect from a "threatened SAB"?

I went to the hospital on Monday morning beacause I woke up in a puddle of blood. ( I was 12 weeks pregnant) They did a urine sample and an ultrasound (both vaginal and the one on the belly) and the doctor told me that the fetus didn't make it. I read the hospital paper and the diagnosis says "threatened SAB". So naturally I started reasearching it and now I am very confused. Can someone help me out with this? Today is 3 days sinse I started bleeding and the pain in my back is so extreme that it's hard to walk. The bleeding has picked up quite a bit too. Please help me. I need someone who has gone through this...

jen_and_pat

Asked by jen_and_pat at 6:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• SAB is a miscarriage. I've had two. You are going to pass the fetus, thus the pain. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry that no one really gave you much info. I'm a nurse, used to work in L&D....p.m. if you want to talk off the board.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I'm assuming that stands for spontaneous abortion.... First off, I'm very sorry for your loss. I had one prior to getting pregnant with my son, I had a blighted ovum. Did they schedule you for a follow up? They're going to have to check that all the tissue has been passed, otherwise they might have to do a (partial) DNC... It looks right now that your body is expelling everything.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I had a threatened miscarriage (SAB is just the same thing-Spontaneous Abortion) and that only means you have a CHANCE of losing it (from what I understand). If the fetus didn't make it then you should be in the process of a miscarriage! You really should see a regular obgyn to clear this one up! One is different from another! Either way -- get family close for support!!
    brittneyk86

Answer by brittneyk86 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• I haven't passed anything yet. That's what's got me worried the most. It's been 3 days and nothing has come out, just blood. The pain is pretty severe and as I am typing it's radiating into my stomach. I'm suppost to see my DR tomorrow, but I'm worried that maybe I should go now.
    jen_and_pat

Comment by jen_and_pat (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• PS. I don't have the best DR.
    jen_and_pat

Comment by jen_and_pat (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Hugs and I bumped for you dear. God be with you.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 7:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• You really may need to see someone else if you can....the pain worries me! You may want to go back to the ER is your doctor isn't that great! Take care of yourself!! Keep us updated!
    brittneyk86

Answer by brittneyk86 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2010