Step Parents, SO's with children

As a step parent or SO do you feel comfortable or agree that if you have the children you should parent them as well as discipline them? My SO has kids (I live with SO), their mother is never around so I have the kids most of the time (he works 2nd shift). He has no problems with it but family and friends say I should not be the one to parent/discipline his kids.

gratefulangel77

Asked by gratefulangel77 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you are there and raising them then yes I think you should be able to parent/discipline them. i used to be a step mom, my ex had 2 kids then we had one together and when he wasn't around I would be the parent. we only had them on weekends, but i still believe that you should be an authority figure to parent and discipline. also if it works for you and your family then i wouldnt worry about what others say. they arent the ones living with you
    katiliffe1982

Answer by katiliffe1982 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• If you are alone with them, then yes. Your SO also needs to back you up and make sure that the kids know that the rules come from their father and not from you.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• even if you are the babysitter and not even their step mother you still have the right to discipline them. whoever is taking care of the child has the right to discipline them...... i am sure that your friends and family will agree that a teacher has the right to discipline the child when they're at school, so why do you not have the right to discipline a child in your care in your home? they make no sense.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2010